• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The ATI Ultimate LAN

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sjaak

this sounds to me like its gonna crash and burn lol.

Its only two days. Two days? it will take them half the first day to just get it going. They want to set O/C records? try beating the guys from Xtreme there..no way they can do that. 3Dmark05 records? same thing, been done over and over again. Pimp my PC? come' on, they can do that on MTV..ive already seen WAY too much freakn' ugly pimped cases.

If there are some serious overclockers present, its going to be the most expensive PR-stunt ever..and it wont gain much anyway :beer:

I was under the impression that they had quite a few of the best overclockers in the world going there.

Fugger, OPPAINTER, and Macci will be there. link

I have also seen a decent amount of discussion about something compleatly insane from Chilly1 being there. In a thread about a dual head cascade (2 evaporators, below -100 each) someone asks if it is going to the ATi competition and he says "Actually what is going to the ATI competition is a whole order of magnitude above this" link

As for record breaking, Fugger, who owns extremesystems, has a p4 which he is running in the 7ghz range and I would imagine might be there. link

Zulu-1 said:
just sounds kinda cheesy to me..
i think theyre trying to hard :-\

Exactly what i was thinking. Extreme Overclocking takes alot of research, patience and set up time...

Lifthanger said:
Like said above: I think they are able to break some records of XS members, because the main actors ARE XS members ;).

would have been alot cooler if they picked medium-overclockers (like alot of us), gave them the material, a week of preparation then see what they could do. In the name of oc.com!

No one cares about medium - if they picked a bunch of average (medium) overclockers, who would care to watch as you can see that anywhere.

It's too bad I haven't heard of anyone here who plans to attend...

As for the extreme overclocking, more than anything it takes resources - the means to go through a lot of hardware and cherry pick which is able to perform the best, and the means to get the cooling necessary, the means to custom fashion the cooling components... And then it takes a love for tweaking, fiddling, and benchmarking.

Not many people have all that around here.

It's like IMOG said. Also they don't sport this event because they're nice and generous people. They want something in return. In the end this event is some sort of big pr/advertisement gag and again, like said above, average overclockers can't deliver this "public" attention.

I really appreciate this event, in case I sounded as if I disliked it.
It's just that for them, we're all customers in the end.. nothing more.
:)

I.M.O.G. said:
As for the extreme overclocking, more than anything it takes resources - the means to go through a lot of hardware and cherry pick which is able to perform the best, and the means to get the cooling necessary, the means to custom fashion the cooling components... And then it takes a love for tweaking, fiddling, and benchmarking.

Not many people have all that around here.

Thats what i meant, i believe there is just too little time on that particular event to perform great overclocking deeds.

And heck, we know what people can do who are used to 'be able to cherry pick' their components. They run Xtremesystems. It would get alot more interesting if you picked guys like us, who have the knowledge but not the material, to do it. Might just reveal some new insights...getting spoiled all the time leads to ignorance, getting spoiled once in awhile to geniality...

Sjaak said:
Thats what i meant, i believe there is just too little time on that particular event to perform great overclocking deeds.

And heck, we know what people can do who are used to 'be able to cherry pick' their components. They run Xtremesystems. It would get alot more interesting if you picked guys like us, who have the knowledge but not the material, to do it. Might just reveal some new insights...getting spoiled all the time leads to ignorance, getting spoiled once in awhile to geniality...

TBH, I would also call myself a medium overclocker, but I have absolutley no idea how to set up a cascade...
Opp, Macci and Fugger know there stuff very well and I dont think that it will take them much longer than a few hours to set their stuff up.

"getting spoiled all the time leads to ignorance" ??

I would hardly say that those guys are ingnorant, or that we have even half the knowledge they do.

I know breaking records takes a lot of carefull tweaking and setup, but I would imagine most of the overclockers are going to essentially show up with a finnished and fully tuned and tweaked system, and then maby try and push it a bit further while they are there.

I'm a little confused as to what sort if hardware these people are going to be using though. If they want to break 3D performance records, there is really only one option, two 6800 ultras in SLI. I can't think anyone would be able to beat 2 cards in SLI with only one card. This makes me wonder what ATi is thinking or going to do. Throwing an overclocking PR bananza where your competitors cards break all the records is not a great idea.

matttheniceguy said:
"getting spoiled all the time leads to ignorance" ??

I'm not saying they are ignorant. (it might not be the right word for it).

But from what i have seen in other cases (99% non-overclocking), being spoiled does often lead to ignorance, or at least 'lost of creativity and interest in possible alternatives'.

Sjaak said:
It would get alot more interesting if you picked guys like us, who have the knowledge but not the material, to do it. Might just reveal some new insights...getting spoiled all the time leads to ignorance, getting spoiled once in awhile to geniality...

Do you have anything that reflects that this is true as it applies to overclocking? :)

I think its a shame we don't have any representation going also, but I think those guys could put on a better show. I'm sure there will also be some chumps there though who many people here could crush.

I.M.O.G. said:
Do you have anything that reflects that this is true as it applies to overclocking? :)

Well, i myself have been overclocking high end P4's for 3 years now. (2.0A @ 3.8, 3.0C @ 3.75, 2.8 @ 4.02) and i really recognised that i started looking different at decent systems (3 Ghz range) they somehow seemed useless and inferiorm which was absolutely ridiculous, for most people they would do just fine. A few months ago i had great casual fun with an old 400Mhz P-II i had lying around..thats when i started to think about how being 'spoiled' for a long while had changed my view.

Sjaak said:

These ppl got where they are for a reason. And yes they run Xtremesystems, however most of us have base systems that are very similar to what they run, they just know how to make them faster then we can (if you dont belive me look at some of the rigs in the sigs in teh forums. Also you cannot pick guys like us either for a few reasons:

1. no one knows who the hell we are so PR is bad.
2. We may be able to vmod and oc like hell, However these are the guys that usually figure out the vmods and have the knowledge of how to use the cooling to the xtreme.

I look over at xtremesystems regularly like many of you and came up on a nice article about this:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52851

Also in this thread they broke 9000 on 3dmark05 on a x850xtpe. to me that is a very impressive score, especidally since i cant even do that in 03 .
:cry:

I think it would be a great event to be at, wish i could go. They got the best guys there and if you read the tread they are looking forward to it.

Sjaak said:
Exactly what i was thinking. Extreme Overclocking takes alot of research, patience and set up time...

You do reallize that the OCers that got invited...was invited over a month or more ago...so they have had time to get there setups tested and such before the comp. matter of fact chilli has already made few phase changes for a few of the people ;)...

glock19owner said:
You do reallize that the OCers that got invited...was invited over a month or more ago...so they have had time to get there setups tested and such before the comp. matter of fact chilli has already made few phase changes for a few of the people ;)...

That way it would be more of a 'do all the homework show us your results'. Well, if that is what people want.

Sjaak said:
That way it would be more of a 'do all the homework show us your results'. Well, if that is what people want.

This is what people want...check out a few of the pics...especially the top..

"This is (from right to left) macci, Kingpin, and Chilly1. They are unloading a 800 pound bottle of LN2"

Link

You all can put faces with the names now...and you can see fugger in teh XS thread link above...this link is from that thread also...

Apparently Fugger broke 4ghz on an FX-55 today and Macci is the only person thats haveing very good luck with tweaking the new Bullhead board and Oppainter is crying Nvidia. Atleast thats what I think I read in the thread @ XS.

Back