• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Processor stopping windows from booting?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brown_d9

Registered
Just swapped my 2500 barton for a 3200 and a blue screen error keeps popping up and stopping it from booting up, any ideas why and what i can do do fix it.

Thanks

Yep. Go to safe mode and remove the processor's ACPI driver. Reboot and it'll have to redetect it. Unless you also switched mobos, then you have to remove all the mobo drivers as well. Switching these screws with the device manager's HAL settings.

Brown_d9 said:
Just swapped my 2500 barton for a 3200 and a blue screen error keeps popping up and stopping it from booting up, any ideas why and what i can do do fix it.

Thanks
If theMonster's suggestions don't help, would you mind posting the text o the error message. THat is often helpful in determing what caused the error.

If removing the ACPI driver fails to work, assuming you are running Windows XP you could just do a recovery from the CD. This is not the recovery console option that comes up straight away after the cd has loaded. If you continue with the normal install and not the recovery console, after it detects there is already a windows installation on your hard disk it will offer you the ability to perform a repair. This will reinstall all of the system files and drivers, which should resolve any HAL problems with the new hardware. It also keeps all of your existing settings, so you wont loose anything.

Back