• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good Compression Program

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So what do you want to compress? Inquiring minds want to know.

Actually, we can't even begin to answer your question until you give us a bit more info dude.

winrar - compresses WAY better hen winzip - has split archives - i swear by this program - it is the standard - bottom line!

some people say WInace is good, never liked it myself

but definetly Winrar www.rarsoft.com

As for cutting a file szie in half - no program can do this pending on the original format - sure u can take a 5g word document and compress it to like 50mb - but you cant take a 500mb MPEG file and make it 250mb - it is just not possible.

I already use winrar. I was looking for something a bit better. I'm aware that you cant compress files that already have been compressed, but I'd imagine that theres something that would compress it even more by like 10% or something. Thanks for the replies. :)

I use power archiver. It can do like winrar formate and can do winzip and like 10 other formates but can also do like 7 zip which is better compresion then even winrar. Only problam is person on recieving end needs to be able to decode 7-zip.

apu318 said:
All files. Generally speaking.. a range of files from mp3's to movies to extremely large documents and pictures.. the works man. I'm looking for a general archiver like winrar, cept alot better.

mp3s, jpegs and MPEG-compressed video are virtually random data - the pertinent data is already compressed by frequency analysis and so the only saving you get is by compressing the headers of the files. For stuff like text and documents, RAR is probably the best you can do.

Yes with files that are already compressed, mpegs Jpegs compressed executables, etc, you are sometimes lucky to end up with an archive file that's actually any smaller than the originals, I've seen some archives containing these types of things take up 5% more room than the original files.

heh lzip, good one.

I used to like archivers based on the lempel-ziv algorithm, lzh, lha etc which always used to perform better than zip, but never attained the same popularity. I don't know if there is a gui based front end for these, but know you can get the command line executables and integrate them into winzip for decompression, dunno about compression though.

Road Warrior

holy blazing hell triple post...
sorry dudes i didnt mean to but my pc just went nuts and i pressed the post button a few times...my bad...
well i was tempted to leave the triple post but i deleted 2/3rds of it. :santa2:

i actually typed erll instead of well a second ago lol.

Last edited:
Damn, if there was a way to compress .tar.gz files easily...

:beer:

and is there a way to install lzip on windows? i used it on my linuxx machine, but i want it on my windows one too...

Last edited:
The hell? Look at what I found while looking through the lzip install files...

Goldfinger.
He's the man, the man with the midas touch.
A spider's touch.
Such a cold finger.
Beckons you to enter his web of sin
But don't go in.

Golden words he will pour in your ear,
But his lies can't disguise what you fear,
For a golden girl knows when he's kissed her,
It's the kiss of death from

Mister Goldfinger.
Pretty girl beware of this heart of gold
This heart is cold.

Golden words he will pour in your ear,