• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP won't start

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dppwdrmn26

Registered
I just installed a new motherboard in my computer, and when I try to boot, it went through the loading screen a few times, but then gave me a blue screen with a page fault error. So I tried to do a repair install of XP, but it hangs on "Setup is loading Windows." So that didn't work. Now when I try to boot, it gives me a "NTSDL not found" error or something like that, I don't remember the exact letters. Is there any way I can fix this without reformatting, if I just go back to my old motherboard will it work correctly? Please help!

IS that file missing called NTLDR? what mobo did you have before and which one do you have in now.

Anytime you change MOBO's it's a good idea to back up your data first, then do a FRESH install of windows. Not doing so will leave old drivers and settings from your old mobo imbedded in the OS and cause alot of problems and instability usually.

Also are you OC'd while doing this? Because your new mobo might not OC like your old mobo did. I get this error sometimes when i OC to far. I don't know you mobo to well (if it's the abit in your sig), but i know with my DFI SATA channels 1&2 don't lock but 3&4 do. Try changing the sata channels on your raid setup.

At this point you're probably going to have to do a fresh instal or (maybe) a repair install. It is a good idea to re-install when you change motherboards. You may be able to get away with booting from your old motherboard, switching all the device drivers to generic windows drivers via the device manager, and then trying to boot on the new board (I've done that with windows 2000).

I uninstalled the drivers from the old motherboard, which is the one in my sig, and I didn't really have any choice about backing up my data, because the IDE slots on the old mobo died, along with 2 of the PCI slots and the USB ports. I was kinda dead in the water as far as backups went. My new mobo is a SOYO Dragon 2.

That is the file that it says is missing.

As said above it's better to do a fresh install, and in your case I highly recommend it because it's a completely different chipset. But it seems that you have tried a repair installation but it's hanging right. The file that it says it's missing is a very important bios it is what loads the os, if your able to go into repair mode not a repair install you could fix the mbr, this would copy the missing file onto the hdd, and if your able to do that boot in safe mode and use drive cleaner to get rid of the nforce drivers then install the via drivers.

The problem with trying to repair the windows through repair mode is that setup hangs as soon as it finishes loading all of the things it has to load before showing the options menu. I will switch the mobos back and hope for the best.

Avg said:
IS that file missing called NTLDR? what mobo did you have before and which one do you have in now.

Funny you mention that. I had that error on a pentium pro 200 when I tried to install nt4 on it oced to 233.

Back