• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gmail is too creepy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thats why I only use it for junk mail.

But if you can afford a domain name (few bucks), and you have some sort of always-on internet, and can spare an old computer to remain on 24/7- Why not host your own email?

It's simple. Free. No ads (targetted nor untargetted). Your HDD space is your limit. You can choose whatever name at your domain you want (and as many as you want). If you install a webserver (like apache with php support) on that same computer, you can host your own webmail site, so you can access your email anywhere. And there are no privacy concerns.

Boy howdy! Did anyone think that google was doing anything out of the goodness of their little hearts? Not me. They are a huge company and they are doing what all huge companies do. Making money.

The paranoid rants on that site just crack me up. Example:

A relevant ad that shows poor judgment is much worse than an irrelevant ad that shows poor judgment.

M'kay. Did the author of that piece think that the machines that do the work of google are capable of judgment? Here is some news for whoever wrote that (not that they will ever see it but even so...). Machine do not make conscious choices.

In other news, if you go to amazon.com and look for condoms, you will get the link for “buy it used and save $$$” Hardly an example of stellar judgment in my opinion.

In other other news, moving trucks hurt when you stand in front of them and my oven gets hot when I turn it on.

The part that stood out to me is where they say gmail saves your email, even if its deleted. This may be the same everywhere.

I like the idea of my own email server at home. That's pretty cool regardless.

Anyone want some gmail invites? I got plenty.

I noticed the other day there are about a million gmail invites for sale on ebay. Ridiculous isn't it?

Yeah, I'll still use Gmail........... I wouldn't be surprised if the other email companies were doing the same, but they just aren't as clear in their privacy statements. As long as you're not doing anything wrong, it's not like you have anything to hide :p

I mainly use Gmail for throwaway registrations and the like...also for friends, family etc to send me large attachments as the school mailserver DFO's enough without them.

It's also another email I can use when the school server eats itself.

It takes three clicks to put a message into the trash

omg three entire clicks??!?!?!?? excuse me while i change my freshly soiled boxers

seriously, if you don't like something, don't use it. but don't go out and spread conspiracy theories. you couldn't pay me to care if there are text ads that are based on a script that finds keywords.

I dont really care. As long as yahoo stays around so gmail dosnt control the market then they cannot do to much with this info plus I am not liek sending terrosit attacks or anything thorugh email so dosnt really bother me.

Back