• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laggy computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bohansen

Hi, for some reason my computer has gotten really really super laggy .

It was fine a couple days ago but now i cant even run programs withought it laggin and skippin and stuff... like if i try to play a movie it cant even play or have the sounds withought skipping and lagging.

It takes forever to load programs.. and like freezes whenever i try to run msn messeenger.

I reset CMOS dunno why.. but i'm still having this problem.
I ran a virus scan and no viruses.. plz help!

computer specs:

A64 3500+ newcastle
1gig corsair value select
evga6600gt
Asus A8v delux

Also it takes at least 3x as long to load up windows when i turn on the computer.. :(

Sounds like some form of malware to me. Try running ad-aware and Spybot search & destroy before doing anything else. Have you installed anything that could be the culprit recently?

bohansen said:
Hi, for some reason my computer has gotten really really super laggy .
My first thought: spyware.
It was fine a couple days ago but now i cant even run programs withought it laggin and skippin and stuff... like if i try to play a movie it cant even play or have the sounds withought skipping and lagging.

It takes forever to load programs.. and like freezes whenever i try to run msn messeenger.
classic spyware

So, here's what I suggest you do:
Download Lavasoft Adaware and Spybot Search & Destroy (both can be found at download.com) and install them. Update their definitions, then run them from safe mode. Remove whatever they find (except for the list of negligable opjects adaware picks up, but that's on a seperate tab from the critical ones). Then reboot, get hijackthis! (I think the latest version is 1.99.1), run it, save a log file, and post it (the file).

Once your system is clean, there are a few things you can do to keep it clean. First, I recomend switching from IE to another browser (eg firefox or opera). This seems to reduce significently people's infections. You also havve to be very careful waht you download and install. Spybot's Immunize function can be useful, as well as javacool software's spyware blaster. These modify the registry to prevent the installation of known bad active-x controls, as well as blocking many tracking cookies in firefox and ie.

I may be jumping to conclusions about soware here. If so, I apologise. Where I work, over 90% of the problems I see are soyware-related.

Well the first thing i also thought was spyware, ran adaware and got a couple things but after i deleted them i still have the same problem.

I also use mozilla, used it for last year and a half or so.

here is the txt from the hijackthis

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:17:15 PM, on 2/24/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe
C:\Program Files\eVGA\ResChanger2004\ResChanger2004.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\wkcalrem.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Aubrey Hansen\Desktop\New Folder\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: NavErrRedir Class - {00D6A7E7-4A97-456f-848A-3B75BF7554D7} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: DAP Bar - {62999427-33FC-4baf-9C9C-BCE6BD127F08} - C:\Program Files\DAP\DAPIEBar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DiskeeperSystray] "C:\Program Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\DkIcon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WorksFUD] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\wkfud.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Portfolio] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WksSb.exe /AllUsers
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WkDetect.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Lexmark X74-X75] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark X74-X75\lxbbbmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run:

Last edited:
ok now im having problems rebooting.. if i restart the computer it goes out of windows.. the screen turns black but my comp is still running? the monitor's not reading anything but i can still hear the fans going. this happens sometimes

And most of the time now if i turn off the computer and turn it back on i get that stupid POST voice error message "System Failed CPU Test"

And sometimes it goes threw and i get threw windows but its still laggy as hell.

Is there something wrong with my hardware? what should i do?

hmm maybe its my hd.. havnt thought of that , i took this 80gig hd off of my dell that i bought like 4 years ago or so.. its a Seagate Baracuda ATA IV 80 gigs >.>

if i buy a new hd. can i transfer everything from my old HD to my new HD?

Back