• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dremel tool....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cornbread

Hope this is the right forum for this, if not sorry. I was looking to buy a Dremel tool at Wal-Mart, but the one I wanted was 40 bucks, 25,000 rpm with 60 attachments I think. Anyway, I really do not want to spend 40 bucks and not use it but a few times, so I was wondering, will the Dremel attachments hook onto a regular cordless drill? I mostly need the cutting tool.

Thanks

Sure, they will fit, but you won't have nearly the RPMs you need to make it work properly. Lets say you have a really really fast cordless drill that can get 500 RPMs. If it works at all with the cutting wheel, it will take 50 times as long to make your cut. Invest the $40 in the dremel it is worth it.

I edit this since I couldn't find a $25 dremel oops. Looks like 40 is a good deal.

Last edited:
Box of Rocks said:
Sure, they will fit, but you want have nearly the RPMs you need to make it work properly. Lets say you have a really really fast cordless drill that can get 500 RPMs. If it works at all with the cutting wheel, it will take 50 times as long to make your cut. Invest the $25 in the dremel it is worth it.

So in other words I shouldn't be a cheap ******* :D and just go ahead and buy one, right? I think I will. What rpm range should I look for? I want something that is good for the job, but at the same time light on my pocket.

Personally I have a model 285 which has 3 speed (if you count off) 15,000 and 35,000 RPMs. High speed for metals and low for plastics - so they don't heat up and melt. So far it has worked great.
All Dremel work:

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 77
Box of Rocks said:
Personally I have a model 285 which has 3 speed (if you count off) 15,000 and 35,000 RPMs. High speed for metals and low for plastics - so they don't heat up and melt. So far it has worked great.
All Dremel work:

That is awesome! Beautiful work, love the design!

That really is one of the best looking designs I've seen on a case EVER. Including manufactured designs.

Thanks again. :D
The cutting got tricky a couple of times. Those long Fingers of Aluminum will bend easily so I had to keep repositioning the clamps holding it down. Once it was finished it didn't have enough contrast so I used a string to measure all the ins and outs of the curves and then bought 25 ft of EL (ElectroLuminescent) Wire. That really made it work. Unfortunately the EL wire wears out. I will probably need to replace it in a year or so.

Attachments

• Open.jpg
    Open.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 63
I bought a Dremel, Sears Craftmans brand, haven't used it yet. The case I ordered never did get sent, so I'm going to order the case from another dealer. Xoxide, I have dealt with them many times before, but never again...their communication sucks, plus I ordered the case 3 days ago and called today and it still was waiting to be sent...but that is another topic, sorry, had to rant.

BTTB said:
Skills. What did you use for a round cut?

All that work was done with 2 bits. I masked the entire side panel and used a compass to draw a perfect circle. The cuts were all freehand, cutting along the pattern drawn on the masking. You just have to take your time.
General Purpose Bit and High Speed Cutter.

Attachments

• Dremel.gif
    Dremel.gif
    2.5 KB · Views: 45
Box of Rocks said:
All Dremel work:

Man that looks Awesome. Very nicely done.

Cornbread Buy the dremel. Trust me once you own one you will wonder how you ever lived without one. It can do so many things and has so many attachments that you will fine a thousand uses for it.

Box of Rocks said:
All that work was done with 2 bits. I masked the entire side panel and used a compass to draw a perfect circle. The cuts were all freehand, cutting along the pattern drawn on the masking. You just have to take your time.
General Purpose Bit and High Speed Cutter.

i thought people use fiber glass disc, i guess i'm wrong :)

Back