• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dos doesn't work. plz help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thenerd

i need to use this program for a school assignment, and it runs in dos. however, whenever i click it, it gives me this:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

the program works fine on my laptop, but i don't have it right now so i need to use my desktop.

running windows xp pro sp2. the laptop is running xp home service p 2

ps: i have gotten this thing to work on my desktop before

You may have to run it it "compatibility mode". Right-click on the executable and click properties. Select the compatibility tab and put a check by "run this program in compatibility mode." If that doesn't do it, play with the other settings on this tab (256 color mode, OS version, etc).

Gnufsh said:
You may have to run it it "compatibility mode". Right-click on the executable and click properties. Select the compatibility tab and put a check by "run this program in compatibility mode." If that doesn't do it, play with the other settings on this tab (256 color mode, OS version, etc).

i've already tried basically all of the settings under comp mode, still to no avail

There's a DOS emulator called Abandon Loader that I use for running old games; that sounds like it will work for what you want. You can find it here (it's an Angelfire site, so does get overloaded at times; if it is, just try again).

Hope this helps :D

Is anyone else bothered by the fact a School Assignment requires something like the abandon loader to get working? :bang head

:( Ugh. It's odd that both comp mode and AL have the same results...often I get AL to run older programs that comp mode won't.

Have you tried running it directly from the Windows command prompt?

I'm guessing that both of your computers have the same basic OS configuration? It does seem like a Windows issue; I have heard of/ seen issues with XP Pro and Home (Home will run something, Pro will not and vice versa). No idea exactly why that is.

I'd recommend going to the instructor and see if they have any ideas. I'm as interested in finding a solution as you are...never seen this before. What's the program (is it course-specific or generally available)?

Sounds like your Autoexec.nt file has been corrupted. You should be able to copy the file from an XP machine where DOS works, or (according to some sites on google) even find a good copy in the C:\Windows\Repair directory.

JigPu

Copy and paste this into Notepad, and save it as c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt (overwrite the old one:

Code:
@echo off

REM AUTOEXEC.BAT is not used to initialize the MS-DOS environment.
REM AUTOEXEC.NT is used to initialize the MS-DOS environment unless a
REM different startup file is specified in an application's PIF.

REM Install CD ROM extensions
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe

REM Install network redirector (load before dosx.exe)
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir

REM Install DPMI support
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx

REM The following line enables Sound Blaster 2.0 support on NTVDM.
REM The command for setting the BLASTER environment is as follows:
REM    SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330
REM    where:
REM        A    specifies the sound blaster's base I/O port
REM        I    specifies the interrupt request line
REM        D    specifies the 8-bit DMA channel
REM        P    specifies the MPU-401 base I/O port
REM        T    specifies the type of sound blaster card
REM                 1 - Sound Blaster 1.5
REM                 2 - Sound Blaster Pro I
REM                 3 - Sound Blaster 2.0
REM                 4 - Sound Blaster Pro II
REM                 6 - SOund Blaster 16/AWE 32/32/64
REM
REM    The default value is A220 I5 D1 T3 and P330.  If any of the switches is
REM    left unspecified, the default value will be used. (NOTE, since all the
REM    ports are virtualized, the information provided here does not have to
REM    match the real hardware setting.)  NTVDM supports Sound Blaster 2.0 only.
REM    The T switch must be set to 3, if specified.
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3

REM To disable the sound blaster 2.0 support on NTVDM, specify an invalid
REM SB base I/O port address.  For example:
REM    SET BLASTER=A0

Back