• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Post, First time Buyer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JamesHong

Hello everybody, i am not 100% sure this is the correct place to put this, but i didnt really see a General forum, so here goes :D

I currently have a old eMachines, and i upgraded it a little, i put a bit more ram in, and a 9800 Pro, however i find its just not able to play the new games the way i would like to, so i decided to spend a portion of my tax return on building a new computer, i would really like to keep the 9800 as i just purchased it not long ago, i also only have ~1000 to spend, so it will have to be not so hardcore machine, iam thinking the currently so far, please help fill in the missing with suggestions on what i could do better, or what i could change, thanks :)

Case: RAIDMAX Black Gaming Case (668WBP) -> $84.00

Mobo: ASUS "A8V Deluxe" VIA K8T800 -> $134.00

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (90 nm -> OEM) -> $180.00

Cooling: Arctic Silver 5 With -> Thermalright XP-120 With -> Panasonic Panaflo 120 x 38mm Cooling Fan -> $13.50 + $56.99 + $15.99

PSU: Fortron 530W Power Supply -> $78.00

HDD: Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM With -> 120 GIG IDE HDD I already Own, ( For Storage Only ) -> $180.00 + $0.00

VIDEO CARD: Radeon 9800 Pro -> $0.00

MEMORY: ???? Here iam Stuck

Total: ~$742.50

Anybody any suggestions for the memory, or anything i should change, and could anybody tell me if this will play the latest games fine, example HL2, DOOM3 and such, thanks again :D

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forums!
Everthing looks good, looks like you have done some homework. As for memory, I'm using Corsair, but I have also used Crucial, both work great. As for playing the latest games sure, it looks great.

Thanks for the warm welcome :D

Sorry, i renoted in the post, i have a Radeon 9800 Pro, i would like to keep as i just purchased it. Thanks for the link, iam gona read it :)

I was taking a good look at the: OCZ EL DDR PC3200 Platinum Edition rev2, at the time i looked they were 279.00, Sold out but now they are 284.00, Instock at newegg.

Hows about changing to this case: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-117-030&depa=0

Get a 3000+, I see them hitting 2.75ghz all the time, they overclock the same as the 3200+.

Get the dfi nforce3, or if you can get $160 out of your 9800pro, get the dfi nforce4 and an x700pro 128mb($165 and at least as fast as your current card). Then you will have pci-express.

For a hard drive, get this one: http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=316138&pfp=SEARCH
Supposedly its as fast as a raptor, because of the 16mb of cache.

Get this cpu cooler: http://store.yahoo.com/svcompucycle/acfz-64.html
I got mine for $22, and supposedly its equal to an xp-90 and completly silent, though I have not owned an xp-90 to compare then. Also don't bother getting AS5, the thermal paste that comes with this heatsink is just as good.

For powers supplies, get the fortron BlurStorm 500w, its a new revision with a lot more power on the 12v rails(theres 2).

upgrade the power supply to a name brand, never heard of fortron. i got a antec trueblue that works great. it kept my athlon xp sytem stable while overclocked.

leedog2007 said:
upgrade the power supply to a name brand, never heard of fortron. i got a antec trueblue that works great. it kept my athlon xp sytem stable while overclocked.

fortons are really good for the money, a lot of people around here have them.

leedog2007 said:

fortron is one of the most common and reliable psu companies.

i have the same case in silver, it's been working great so far, the 6 fans really help. the onyl thing i don't like about is the external usb/firwire/headphone/mic ports are on top of the case, instead of in front.

Thanks for all the suggestions, i have finally decided what to buy, and my rig will be the following.
----------------------
CPU: AMD Ahtlon 64 - 3200+ OEM
----------------------
COOLING:
Greese: Arctic Silver Premium Silver Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound, Model "Arctic Silver 5", 12-gram( 5 cc. )
Sink: Thermalright Heatsink for P4 & K8 CPUs, Heatsink Only, Model "XP-120" -RETAIL
Fan: Thermaltake 120mm BLUE LED Fan for PC case and CPU fan, Model "A2018" -RETAIL
----------------------
CASE: RAIDMAX Black Aluminum Gaming Case with 420W Power Supply, Model "668WBP" -RETAIL
----------------------
MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE "GA-K8NS Ultra-939" NVIDIA nForce3 ULTRA Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL
----------------------
PSU: Fortron Blue Storm 500W ATX12V V2.0 Power Supply with 120mm Fan, P4 and AMD ready, Model "AX500-A" -RETAIL
----------------------
MEMORY: OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 Dual Channel Kit 184-Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - Retail
----------------------
HDD'S:
Main: Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD740GD, OEM Drive Only
Storage: Maxtor 300GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model 6B300S0, OEM Drive Only
----------------------
KEYBOARD:
Logitech LX501 Cordless Desktop(White) -RETAIL
----------------------
FLOPPY:
Samsung Black 1.44MB 3.5inch Floppy Disk Drive, Model SFD321B/LBL1, OEM Drive Only
----------------------
CD-R/DVD-R
CD-R: Lite-On 52X32X52 Internal EIDE CD-RW Drive Black, Model SOHR-5238S Black, OEM
DVD-R: NEC IDE DVD BURNER (I currently Own already)
----------------------
VIDEO CARD:
Radeon 9800 128MB - 256Bit AGP
----------------------

Total w/Shipping -> ~$1300

Also notice, there is no sound card, or speakers, i own a very cheap 16Bit sound card, and some very cheap speakers, but they do me fine! :D

Iam hoping to be able to overclock this a little bit, and finally be able to play half-life 2 and doom 3, without crappy hicups

Seen as this will be my first time building a computer, iam just wondering one more think, will i need to buy any more cables, or any screws or such, you know to put it all together, i dont wana be stuck with parts and not able to use them :D, thanks again.

Sounds great, but i would definatly get a PCI Express mobo (with SLI for more future proofing), a $200ish nvidia/ati pci-e video card and just sell your 9800pro on ebay or something.

PCI-e isn't any faster (yet atleast), but your better off getting one now because i am sure the next upgrade you plan to do you won't get much $$ for your 9800pro.

Back