• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Crashing @ StratUp from Overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Robert Hodgen

Registered
My Computer crashes when it starts to load Windows, only when I try to Overclock it to or past 3.8Ghz.

My computer has...
CPU: Intel P4 3.4Ghz (currently @ 3.74 w/ no problem)
Mobo: ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
RAM: PC3200 400Mhz 2x512
Windows XP Media Center Edition

I get this weird error page when windows trys to start.

win-startup-error.jpg

The computer doesn't respond to any key combos except Ctrl+Alt+Del (then it restarts my computer)

Like I said earlier, it only crashes when I try to take it to or past 3.8 (or somewere in that range), but works fine at 3.74Ghz.

Thanks Guys,
Robert Hodgen

Welcome to the forums!

It could be caused by a large number of things. You could try raising your vcore and see if that helps. Be careful though as this will cause an increase in temperature. You could also try relaxing your RAM timings, if they are too agressive your RAM may cause errors with the increased speed. You could of course have reached the chips limit.

I tryed that and it still didn't fix it, it would even give me an error if I tryed to boot from a live CD of Knoppix, although the error is different in Knoppix from the one windows gives, it still won't boot.
I guess my computer won't go above 3.8Ghz :(

Robert Hodgen

Yup, looks like you've reached the limit. What kind of cooling do you have? What temps are reported from bios after running (in bios) for a little while?

I have my CPU, Chipset, and Video card watercooled. The tempertuare that the mobo reads never gets above 100F even when I'm playing games. It normally hovers around 93F when I'm doing normal stuff like surfing the web.

I'm not sure what you mean by "what is that a trap instruction that dumps the cpu register names/contents?" If you could explain that in more deatil, I could probally find that out.

I also put a Live CD of Knoppix in my computer @ 3.8Ghz and it gave me an error just like the one in windows but that was when it started to load (after I told it the language and screen rez).

Robert Hodgen

Back