• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Get Firefox 1.01

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I hate you I was about to post my release post :( Oh well here it is..

Firefox 1.0.1 Released

This is a minor update focused mostly on security. Here are the release notes.

Pimps like us should use the ED2K or BitTorrent links if possible. There are enough grandma's & little sisters leeching off Mozilla!

Windows US English

Linux US English

Disco_Stu said:
does it fix the new popup exploits ive been seeing? :(

it didn't fix mine

firefox.jpg

BTW It does not look like there will be a 1.0.2. The 1.0.1 binarys were silently updated on Feb 28th. If you are running 1.0.1 with no problems you don't need to redownload.

ive noticed some problems with trojans downloading threw firefox i havent really tried to get them again but any word on a fix for that

Trojans getting in through firefox? How do you know they are coming in through firefox? What sites are giving them? Have you searched for or reported this on the mozillazine forums?

Here's a question.

After installing the newer version I can go into Add or Remove Programs and see all the previous versions. Can I remove the previous versions or are they tied into the latest one?

I guess the older versions were replaced by the newer one it just didn't remove the registry setting in Add or Remove Programs. Simple enough to go into regedit to remove manully. At least it isn't as bad as all the WINXP hotfixes. :rolleyes:

Crash893 said:
ive noticed some problems with trojans downloading threw firefox i havent really tried to get them again but any word on a fix for that

I've never had a problem with FireFox, IE on the other hand. Go to a pirate s/w site or crack site or something like that and they come pouring in through IE...... Maybe I just go to the wrong sites..... :D

#258487 blocking those flash pop-unders with firefox

There's been quite a lot of buzz around the blogs the last couple of weeks with people seeing the return of the pop-ups and pop-unders. It looks to me like the overwhelming majority of these are from plug-ins, mostly flash.

A number of pundits and bloggers have been wondering aloud whether or not we'll be able to keep up with the pop-up spammers now that more of them are focused on us. Well, we shipped 1.0 with the capability to block these pop-ups and pop-unders but we didn't enable it because we were concerned about breaking legitimate uses. If you'd like to turn it on, it's a fairly simple change -- and would be absolutely trivial for us to enable once we determine whether or not lots of websites are depending on the feature.

To block pop-ups from plugins
1. Open your Firefox 1.0 or 1.0.1 browser
2. Type about:config in the address field.
3. Right-click in the resulting config page somewhere and select New -> Interger.
4. Type privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins in the resulting dialog, hit OK.
5. Type 2 in the next dialog and you're all set.

This pref can actually take three values:

* 0: open allowed
* 1: the opened windows are treated as popups, but they're allowed to open (we limit the number of these types of popups)
* 2: the window is a popup, block it

If you turn this on, please let me know how it works for you so we can make the decision about offering it to users who aren't likely to be hacking in about:config.
instructions modified a bit

Back