• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP Pro slow boot logo fade in

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NightWolf_8800

Hi

I have a system running Windows XP Pro, with ATI 9600m, 1Gb RAM, 60GB hdd. When I boot up my system, the windows XP boot logo screen takes a long time to fade in before the bar starts going across the screen and windows actually starts loading itself.

On my other computers this is not the case, the bar starts going across the screen and windows seems to start loading itself instantly.

Do you have any suggestions that may resolve this slow loading problem?

You could try defragmenting. Also a useful little utility you could try is TuneXP. Among other things it can rearange your boot files to make them contiguous which should help increase your boot speed. I deffinatly noticed it was much quicker after using TuneXP. It also has a few other performance enhancing features in it.

yeah thanks for the advice

but the windows xp logo pauses for about 3 secs before the bar starts moving.... It doesnt have nething to do with fragmentation because i have defraged the hdd and also run defrag C: -b to defrag the boot files....

Might not be a possibility for you, but you could try a reformat and reinstall. It's usually a good way to speed windows up. If the installation is reasonably old and you have lots of stuff installed it can increase boot times quite a bit.

If you want to try and find out exactly whats causing the delay you could download BootVis, a handy little tool from M$ that can record and analyse everything that happens during boot after the BIOS is loaded. I've used it before only to find a driver being loaded was causing a delay at start up.

The windows xp logo pauses for about 3 secs before the bar starts moving
I don't know that it would even be worth trying to troubleshoot a 3 sec. delay, especially since you're apparently not encountering any problems in Windows. What are the rest of your system specs, including...

1. Do you have either SP1 or SP2 installed?
2. Model of MB, and BIOS revision.
3. Model of CPU, and OC if any.
4. Is the VC OC'd, and have you re-flashed the card's BIOS?
5. How is the HDD connected? ...including jumper settings.
6. How is the HDD partitioned? ...including which filesystem is being used on each volume.
...plus anything else that you might think of that's relative.

I haven't bothered to try troubleshooting this yet, but I have the same problem, except the delay for me is anywhere from 15-45 seconds.

I read somewhere, don't remember where, someone else was having the issue as well, and it was recommended that they check their drive jumpers, and try cable select instead of master slave.

One of these days, I'll probably get around to trying that. :)

My friend has an AMD barton 3200, it boots much slower than my P4 2ghz... could be down to something as little as that... i wouldnt worry to much as long as your pc is running ok

Might try cleaning out C:\Windows\Prefetch as well. Sometimes windows prefetches a bit more than it needs and ends up bogging down the boot process...

JigPu

ok thanks guys... ive tried all that...
Um Lummoxx
try doing into device manager and find ure ide devices.. if you dont have a slave turn it off auto detect and make sure ut us in DMA mode see if that helps

Back