• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Xp missing power schemes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elec999

I am unable to set my monitor to turn off after a certain amount of time, since my power schemes are missing.
Thanks

Attachments

• powerschemes.JPG
    powerschemes.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 188
You picked an excellent descriptive title - this is due to corrupted or missing reg keys, and you can create a reg file to automatically correct this:

http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBP/tip7900/rh7939.htm

I have attached the file you will need to do this, you will need to rename the file so it ends with a reg extension instead of txt. Note that it comes with no warranties, and if things go wrong I would be happy to try to help you fix them, and you should make yourself familiar with backing up and restoring the registry before ever performing an action which alters the registry.

Attachments

• PowerPolicies.txt
    3.1 KB · Views: 630
Thanks alot for the reg file. I applied it, and doesnt seem to return my schemes, do I need to do something else. Did I disable a service by mistake - I dont think so. This I believe happened after I installed drivers for my lcd monitor.

I didnt see this before or I would of asked about a LCD monitor...the same thing happened when I installed my fathers LCD drivers...uninstalled the drivers and the power scheme was back...

He has no issues running his 19" LCD on XP without the drivers...I personally think it actually looks and responds better without the drivers...

But if you can use your LCD without the drivers...try uninstalling the drivers...reboot and then check to see if your power scheme is back to normal...

Could possibly be a problem with the power management section of your BIOS not being properly configured...or your video card and/or monitor may not support power management. I would suggest updating your video and monitor driver's from the manufacturer's web site, if you haven't already done so.

Last edited:
redduc900 said:
Could possibly be a problem with the power management section of your Bios not being properly configured...or your video card and/or monitor may not support power management. I would suggest updating your video and monitor driver's from the manufacturer's web site, if you haven't already done so.
The power schemes worked perfectly fine, but when I installed the monitor drives they disspeared. I taught there could be some special tools included since this a lcd monitor, but there isnt any, so I will unistall them, and install latest video drivers.
Thanks

Installed the latest ati catylist drives, and used the registry tweak again, and made no difference. Power schemes, still missing.
Thanks

I'm sure you're already logged in as Admin/Owner, but I thought I'd better check anyway. You didn't mention whether you were running the Home or Pro version of XP, but the user account needs to be an Owner for XP Home, and in the Administrator group for XP Pro. When the account is not Owner/Admin, then the power settings in the schemes cannot be changed...regardless of whether in ACPI mode or legacy mode.

This is like ten steps backwards, but I haven't been around - but you are restarting after making these changes before checking to see if they have taken effect right?

Back