• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

woodywoody

Registered
Hey guys, this is my first time here and i am not quite sure if this is the right area to post but it looked ok.

Ok, so here is my problem... I just got all my parts for my comp i am building. I got a socket 939 board from DFI, the lanparty Nvidia 4 chip set. I think its called an Ultra-D with PCI express 16x. Anyway i have a thermal take case with 430W power supply and i have my video card, 6800 Pro, DVD-ROM, DVD-RW and CD-RW hooked up to it. I powered it on and all the fans were working but when i hit power on the case, i heard a POP, a Spark and now it wont shut on. A friend told me try and just connect hte HD, Video card and see if that cuts on but i had to come to work.

Anywho, anyone else have any other suggestions or perhaps know what i screwed up? Hope its nothing lol. This is a comp for my boss and i hope i dont have to buy anything to fix it since obviusly i cant make her pay for it. ANy help would be awesome.

-W

First off...WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

Well, generally, that ain't good. That could mean a lot of things, including a dead part or a dead psu, or just somthing not connected properly.

Agree with the friends advice, try that out, and then get back to us.

Ok well, before i go home, stupid question. The connectors from the power supply, the ones that are white with like 4 or 5 wires going into them... Are those connectors different from one to the other? What i mean is, are the volts different depending on which one you connect? I dont think they are but i was just wondering...Just wondering if it makes a difference which one i connect to my drives and what not.

-W

The ones with 4 or 5 wires that have sort of a trapezoidal shape are called molex connectors, and provide both 5v and 12v power. There are both male and female connectors, however only femail are on the powersupply.

In addition Molex connectors Should only plug in one way.
As far as making a difference which one you plug them in on. Just make sure that whatever cable runs you use you have all devices on a power line seperate from any fans and do not share them with any fans ever!!!! It won't cause your computer to spark and smoke immediately but it can affect the way your Drives work due to the noise being generated on the powerlines from the fans. Over time it can even cause a drive to fail.

You said that when you powered it on all the fans came on. I take that to mean that when you turned on the switch of the PSU all the fans came on? Then when you hit the Power switch on the PC there was a pop and a spark? Is this correct?

First the fans should not have come on when you turned on the Power Supply. They just don't work that way. Something is definately wrong with your wiring I just hope that you didn't fry something. Though it doesn't sound good right now.

Ok, so i got home. I have a ASUS A8V with the basically the same set up as the new comp. I plugged in the power supply from my comp that works fine and it still did not come on. So i dont know whats wrong... I am going to have my friends at UNC take a look at it since they can test and see what works. Although, any suggestions would be nice.

EDIT: Really all i give a crap about is the 3800+ CPU and the 6800 PRO video card.... THe MObo i can replace myself. I assume that, decides the Mobo and maybe the power supply, nothing else would really be damaged? I was going to plug in the 3800 to my comp and see if it worked but i decided not to screw with anything anymore.

-W

Back