• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sp2 + x850 xtpe = halo wont start

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
sean478 said:
it says something about not being able to initialize direct x and to run direct x diag
Did you ever run the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, and if so...what were your findings? In case you don't know how to access the tool...Start | Run | Type dxdiag, and click OK.

Give this a try...Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\CatRoot, and rename the folder to CatRoot2old (Start | Run | Type cmd, and click OK | At the command prompt, type the following command, then press ENTER)...

ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 oldcatroot2 ......(After renaming this folder and rebooting, Windows will generate a new, clean folder, and you can then delete the renamed one.)

My point is...you either need to rename the catroot2 folder, or delete it's contents. The reason I'm suggesting this is because I believe the contents of the directory may be corrupt, which is possibly the cause of your problem. You may need to stop the Cryptographic service before trying to rename the catroot2 folder...

net stop cryptsvc

ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 oldcatroot2

net start cryptsvc

I only used oldcatroot2 as an example of what to rename it to...you can rename it to anything you'd like. Make sure to reboot after renaming the folder, or deleting it's contents.
what does this mean Droop Modded (BIOS 1019)?
It means I performed the droop mod to the board...and "BIOS 1019" is the BIOS revision number.

sean478 said:
this happens on seperate instalations so i dont think its coruption but ill try it
Then we'll need to more about your system than just the fact that you're running XP w/ SP2 installed. What are the detailed specs of the system you're having problems with? Is it one of the three systems listed in your sig, and if so...which one?

did not work i instaled sp2 (was using sp1 because of problem) and renaimed it (i did have to close service) and restarted but it did not make another catroot2 and halo still would not run under sp2 thanks though

Back