• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Somthing wrong with my computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Reyn

ok, something is SERIOUSLY wrong with my computer. This is what happend:

Right after I reinstalled windows, everything seems fine. I restarted my computer, it says "invalid boot disk" or something like that, basically it's booting from the CD-ROM but nothing is there. So I went into bios and disabled ALL boot device except 1st boot device which is now set to HDD. Restarted computer, it still won't boot from HDD, asking me for boot CD-ROM. Then I turned the computer off and turned it back on again, guess what? computer shuts down in 10 seconds by itself.

Now I'm seriously worried. I can no longer turn my computer on, I opened up my computer and reset my motherboard by removing the bios battery. Computer now boots again, no more "10 senconds shut down". Turned my computer off, turn it on again, "10 seconds shut down" occured again.

I took the HDD off and connected to my old computer and set it to slave. When the comp is booting, it mentions soemthing about ribbon cable 80nm or soemthing, it appeared on the screen for only .5 second so I couldn't see what the message really was. Enters windows, my HDD is not there, only the OLD HDD from the old comp is there.

Is this my motherboard? My HDD? or soemthing else? basically my computer is DEAD.

Sounds like your HDD took a dump...

Please post what your entire system specs are...including PSU...

glock19owner said:
Sounds like your HDD took a dump...

Please post what your entire system specs are...including PSU...
just gonna say that, BIOS usually only says that when it cant find a MBR(master Boot record) from the HDD, which means usually the HDD is dead/disconnected.

400w Thermaltake Silent Power
A64 3000+ Winchester s939
160GB 8Mb Cache 7200rmp HDD IDE
Abit AV8
Geil Dual Channel 3200 1GB kit
Radeon X800Pro

As long as it is recognized in the BIOS, the drive should be all right. First thing to try is a different cable, and make sure your jumper configurations are correct. Also, try using the diagnostic program that came with the disk to check for drive errors.

Back