• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good Freeware Defrag App?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

any ony know of any good freeware apps?

XP's defagger just kind of gives up after a while and theres still a bunch of fragmented files...its also hella slow too and i have herd other apps will finish the job they started and be faster but they were pay for apps like disk keeper or something..

yea any one? any thing?

i'm looking at 50%+ file fragmentation amongs my 2 most used partitions

i hear there are some good ones out there, and some that are junk- a bit of poking around on google may help. allso may i suggest you post rig stats in your sig so we know what kind of system/stats we are working with?

The only Free one I know of is the one that comes with XP. I personally use Diskkeeper and love it. But I paid for it!

Ditto on perfectdisk. It's worth the money!

I have searched around for free ones and have yet to find one that is worth a crap. YMMV

Dayton

i keep forgetting to put the specs in my sig....probally because theyre gonna change soon...

any way

Athlon XP 2400+ @ 2.25Ghz (166x13.5) Zalman Copper Flower Cooled
DFI NF2 Ultra Infinity
1 Gig Geil Golden Dragon 3200
GeForce FX 5700Ultra w/ 128Meg DDR3 (520/1040)
120Gig Seagate Barucuda SATA drive
Sony DRU 510 (i think 510) DVD burner

once i learn how to program and get insanely good at it...ill make the first ever free (and awesomest as possible) defragger! lol I HAVE A DREAM NOW!

Well, try this one - not perfect because they want you to buy it. This is its description:
Power Defrag 2.10 does not contain any custom defrag, scandisk or registry manipulation engines. The software simply provides a safer and more fail safe environment in which to run some of the system maintenance tools supplied by Microsoft.

In the case of defrag or scandisk operations, Power Defrag 2.10 will restart your system in a configuration which will allow the optimal execution of the Microsoft supplied Defrag or Scandisk applets. Almost all additional software is turned off and the operations are performed with the maximum possible amount of available memory and the minimum chance of other applications writing to the hard disk drives, therefore minimising the number of times the process has to restart.

The resulting defrag or scandisk is much faster than it would have been if the relevant tool has been run from within the normal Windows configuration.

The shareware version did the defrag part but needed registration to run the whole thing.
When I went back to the site (http://www.powerdefrag.com/pd.htm) They seem to have changed it somewhat.

GrimJack

I also like diskeeper lite. The only thing I don't like is it starts a service that you have to stop in task manager if you don't want it to run until the next time you reboot.

Back