• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

scrolling causes big jumps in cpu usage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

veryhumid

I never thought to check but recently i noticed my itunes scrolling seemed kind of slow. so I opened up my task manager to find it was almost up to 50% cpu usage! (this is on an intel 3.4 with HT) I also have this issue if i purposely left click the scroll bar and hold, then scroll up and down very quickly in firefox, internet explorer, or just browsing large directories. Anyway I was wondering if someone could open their task manager, grab their scroll bar and slide it up and down very quickly. is it normal for the program to use a lot of cpu cycles? Thanks for checking that out for me!

I wasn't sure what section to put this in, but with all the xp sp2 problems (which i have) and because it happens ever in your basic windows "explorer.exe", I though this would be the proper place.

Last edited:
big thank you to Flashfx2 for checking that out for me over AIM. I guess it makes sense to suck a lot of juice, but i wanted to make sure it was windows, and not the new vid card i just installed. any other results?

What model mouse are you using, and what are you using for mouse software? How is the mouse connected, and do you have smooth scrolling enabled or disabled in IE, Firefox, and Windows?

it's a razer viper, connected by usb. however i am not using the razer drivers, just the basic functionality windows xp detected. Does the mouse really matter? the issue seems to happen when i left click and hold the scroll bar in the window, then drag it up and down quickly. It's not when I use the scroll roller thingy on the mouse. sorry if there was any confusion there. smooth scrolling is off, i didn't even think to look there!!! i'll turn turning it on to see what happens...

edit: after enabling smooth scrolling in firefox it seems like i still get the same big jump in cpu usage when i move the scroll bar up and down rapidly.

That happened to me too for a while.I changed from an audigy LS soundcard back to onboard and it was gone.Not only would it hit 100% cpu usage but it would make like a buzzing sound when I scrolled also.

Does the mouse really matter?
I just thought it might help to know what kind of a mouse you were using. You might want to try plugging the mouse into the PS2 port (make sure to shutdown first, and shut off the power to your rig), instead of using the USB hub...just to see if that cures it. You could also try the Razer drivers, since they're made specifically for your mouse...unlike the generic MS drivers.

k i just tried it on my laptop iam on 3.2pressy with a logitech m300 - and it jumped to about 28-35% - but that was me right clicking on the scoll batr and moving it upand down really fast.

Mr.Guvernment said:
k i just tried it on my laptop iam on 3.2pressy with a logitech m300 - and it jumped to about 28-35% - but that was me right clicking on the scoll batr and moving it upand down really fast.

yeah that is what I was wondering if people could check out. if I try hard I can get firefox to just about 40. don't you have to left click and hold?

redduc900 said:
I just thought it might help to know what kind of a mouse you were using. You might want to try plugging the mouse into the PS2 port (make sure to shutdown first, and shut off the power to your rig), instead of using the USB hub...just to see if that cures it. You could also try the Razer drivers, since they're made specifically for your mouse...unlike the generic MS drivers.

the razer won't work with a ps2 connector, but I have another mouse to try, and after that i'll go for the razer drivers. thanks for the suggestions!

yeah i was doing the left click on the scroll bar and holding rthen moving my mouse up and down really fast - i will try it with a really large web page when ifind one.

could someone else run the simple test, just let me know how much cpu usage you use to scroll on a webpage quickly, thanks!

stratcatprowlin said:
That happened to me too for a while.I changed from an audigy LS soundcard back to onboard and it was gone.Not only would it hit 100% cpu usage but it would make like a buzzing sound when I scrolled also.

i actually have that buzzing sound, too! I am using the onboard sound on my ic7-g which is pretty crappy. playing things is okay, but hard drive and processor activity sometimes leaks through. I think it is a known issue.

Last edited:
I also heard it could be a psu issue.Weird thing is a couple months after that my psu(Antec SL350) went loco and died so I dont know.

Using FF my CPU usage also goes between 50~100% when scrolling up and down quickly, so it would seem like a normal thing. Maybe it will be fixed in Longhorn with avalon, the work maybe offloaded to the GPU?

Flamed_Chip said:
Using FF my CPU usage also goes between 50~100% when scrolling up and down quickly, so it would seem like a normal thing. Maybe it will be fixed in Longhorn with avalon, the work maybe offloaded to the GPU?

yeah i hear a lot of the desktop will be 3d :D or at least run off the gpu. Thanks for posting!

Gnufsh said:
I'm using linux and firefox, and I also get big jumps in CPU useage whan scrolling quickly (~80% scrolling as fast as possile back and forth).

thanks for posting, I am convinced it is a normal thing, now. :thup: I bet mine would go that high, but because I have HT it only reads as up to 50%.

I also checked on my dad's laptop which uses a centrino chip, and I got it up to about 80% scrolling quickly. Okay, problem resolved.

Thanks, everyone!

Back