• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HP dual sever needs SPECIAL HP only Xeon??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

none1

Hi all!

Machine = HP Proliant ML350 G4, it has a Xeon 3.0 ghz, with HT and EMT64. It has two proc spots, uses the Intel E7520 chipset, but only one processor is installed so far.

I want to install another processor.

The dealer is telling me that the normal $325 boxed intel Xeon HT EMT64 will NOT FIT in that machine, that I HAVE to buy a special HP version of the chip.

?????

So does anyone have any specific experience with the HP servers? Is it true that HP has done something so that a generic Intel chip "won't fit" in one of their servers? Could the HSF of the normal chip not fit becaus of space issues? What's up?

Thanks!

How many pin processor is in it ? I do know RAM can be propritary not sure if a processor is though.

I highly doubt HP made a deal with Intel to push a special socket for 'HP Only' chips. Even Dell probably couldn't make them. Get another 3Ghz Xeon; it will fit.

My friend has an HP workstation with a 2.4GHz Xeon and normal Xeon's will fit in the socket, but they will NOT work. He has confirmed it, he tried another cpu. He was told that the HP chips have some form of special instruction built into them and the motherboard's BIOS looks for it and won't work unless it see's it. This system is probably the same way.

Intel Xeon processor - 3.0GHz (Nocona, 800MHz front side bus, 1.0MB Level-2 cache, INT3, Socket 603, with EMT64T extensions and hyper-threading

This is most likely what you need..........not listed at Intel...it is indeed most likely a proprietary chippy ;)

Incidently...at HP, they only cost $910

LutaWicasa said:

Which is exacly why my friend left his system as a single Xeon system, they told him over $800 for a 2.4GHz Xeon.

LutaWicasa said:
Intel Xeon processor - 3.0GHz (Nocona, 800MHz front side bus, 1.0MB Level-2 cache, INT3, Socket 603, with EMT64T extensions and hyper-threading

This is most likely what you need..........not listed at Intel...it is indeed most likely a proprietary chippy ;)

1) Where'd you get all that info?

2) Cool thanks.

3) So that's news too me, and blows BIG TIME, PROPIETARY CHIP?

That is so uncool .... so do I hate HP more for doing it, or Intel for letting them?

OK either way .... I got the machine for only $600, with 512 ram and a 36gig 15000 rpm scsi drive.

SO, do I part it out, and use the $$$ for a home bult dually? Perhaps someone else wants to pay big bucks for the chip inside it? Or keep it with the scsi drive and drop a pcie video card in? Ya, specs say it has pcie.

Thanks all, proprietary is evil.

I would sell the whole thing as one, that way the HP warranty (assuming since it's a server it has it) stays with it. And yes build your own...get a NCCH-DL and some noconas...jump to a gig of ram

none1 said:
1) Where'd you get all that info?

Intel and HP.
That HP site is such a PITA to manage extracting any really useful info('specially as I was working without specific model/part#'s), but...it's there if you're tenacious ;)

EEP. Proved me wrong. Sorry. :-/

Shame Intel and HP want to force people to use proprietary parts like that...

nope as long as it is the same socket it will work. the server does not know the difference.

while stuff like ram, servers are usually not nice to certain brands.

don't listen to that crap. i have 4 servers, from compaq to hp, and used an assortment of non-branded cpus. the only usual difference is they like to sell you the cpu as the kit with the heatsink and vrm if needed.

AdvanS13 said:
nope as long as it is the same socket it will work. the server does not know the difference.

while stuff like ram, servers are usually not nice to certain brands.

don't listen to that crap. i have 4 servers, from compaq to hp, and used an assortment of non-branded cpus. the only usual difference is they like to sell you the cpu as the kit with the heatsink and vrm if needed.

Cool, BUT ... have you actually tried this on an HP proliant G4 server? Or even a G3? I'm wondering if its a newish deal with HT xeons and the G3 / G4 line. So older hardware CPUs might be interchangeable, but not any longer. (just a guess)

So which servers have you interchanged CPUs with? It would be GREAT news if I could just get a generic Xeon to go in my G4 .....

Thanks much!

LutaWicasa said:
Intel and HP.
That HP site is such a PITA to manage extracting any really useful info('specially as I was working without specific model/part#'s), but...it's there if you're tenacious ;)

Thanks, I generally can't get ANYTHING out of the HP site, guess I'm not tenacious enough :D

none1 said:
Cool, BUT ... have you actually tried this on an HP proliant G4 server? Or even a G3? I'm wondering if its a newish deal with HT xeons and the G3 / G4 line. So older hardware CPUs might be interchangeable, but not any longer. (just a guess)

So which servers have you interchanged CPUs with? It would be GREAT news if I could just get a generic Xeon to go in my G4 .....

Thanks much!

to simply answer your question, intel does not make cpu's specially coded, or hard coded to be compatible for certain manufacturers.

now, of course they will recommend certain steppings, and thier own versions w/ proprietary heatsinks etc...but, the chip itself is not mfg'er specific. although, all companies strictly specify which speed/fsb/cache size do fit in thier boards. as long as you are within the supported cpu's you should be fine.

LutaWicasa, not to doubt that you checked, but Intel's s-spec finder for Xeon procs only show socket 604 PPGA Xeons at 3.0 GHz and 800 fsb. They show 2 D0 steppings (SL7DW, SL7HG) and 2 E0 steppings (SL7PE, SL7TC) in 800 fsb 90 nm Xeons at 3.0. There is 1-3.0 Xeon listed using the socket 603 pin PPGA INT3, but it is a C1 400 fsb, 130nm part. I even downloaded and looked at the latest update pdf and they show all 800 fsb Xeons maunfactured in socket 604 PPGA only.

Sounds to me like someone is blowing a little smoke up somewhere trying to make more profit selling that absurdly priced HP kit, IMO. :)

BTW, the latest spec update pdf file is here at this link, if you want to look at it yourself. :)

Ppm?

Hey what's a PPM?

PPM = Processor Power Module

No, I mean, what's it do? Do all Xeon machines need one, or is THIS an HP thing? Perhaps I need a regular intel proc, but then ALSO need the PPM, so mayhaps when others just drop normal xeons in they don't work cause they don't have a PPM?

Any thoughts? Below is from the documentation .....

Processor Option
The server supports single- and dual-processor operation. ........
The server uses PPMs as DC-to-DC converters to provide the proper power to each processor. Processor 1 uses an embedded PPM. Processor 2 uses a PPM that must be installed in the adjacent slot.

Common item for dual processor Intel boards..VRM is wht we most commonly call them

diehrd said:
Common item for dual processor Intel boards..VRM is wht we most commonly call them

Are they usually both built into the MB? Are they all the same, or motherboard / manufactuer specific?

HP says it needs a Processor Power Module, maybe that's why their CPUs are so expensive?

Back