• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System Stability under KotOR2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadowise

Registered
Wasn't sure where to put this, though it didnt seem to fit the games section. System runs fine when its just sitting there doing nothing, but after a few minutes on KotOR2, it will hang (picture freezes but audio continues normally), and then reset. Windows XP doesn't bring up a crash report. KotOR2 is patched up to the latest version, and I updated the system with the lastest nVidia drivers from the web. Any sugguestions?

System Spec;
AMD 3200+ Winchester
ASUS A8V Deluxe Rev.2
Ledtek Winfast 6600GT
1GB Corsair XL DDR400
2 x Maxtor DiamondMax 120GB SATA

Thanks in Advance

I've been hearing reports left and right about kotor 2 being buggy as hell. I'd check around some gaming forums and see if anyone's having a similar issue and what they've maybe done to correct it.

I played trough the game once allready and now I'm on my second run with no problems.
Running the game at highest setting with best AF and AA settings.
I did have two or three crashes early in the game but everything is fine now...

Flip-Mode: You're running a different graphics card to me
shard: Yes, as I said its patched to the latest version
CPUonNO2: I'm sure it is a hardware issue, rather than the game.

I was just wandering if anyone with the same GFX and similar rig was having problems with any games, because my friend also has the same model, and the same problem with some games. Is the 6600GT just currently unstable?

P.S Does anyone know if the Leadtek Winfast 6600GT has a minimum power requirement? I have a 420 Tagan I-XEye psu and just read that the XFX6600GT needs a 450W minimum supply. Any ideas with this? The problems descirbed when the card is underpowered seem to match my own, freezing then resetting.

Don't think its anything like that, I was running my 6800 with a no name 350W PSU with no problems.
Did you try the rolling back the drivers? Its worth a shot.
Also is the system OCed? If so try it at stock.
Are you having problems with otehr games as well?

Systems is still at stock. I tried the game with the original drivers, and the problem started, so I updated it, and that didn't make a difference. I've been scouring other forums and can't seem to find anything that might help. The system was only put together on Friday, after a month of being messed around with faulty motherboards and psu's. I have't had a chance to try any other games on it yet, runs fine during movies and stuff, just the intensive stuff seems to make it die.

I will chaulk this up with the few other 1,000's of problems related to the 6600GT...

Go to nvidia's forum and other forums and do a search for issues wiht the 6600GT's...you will come across too many to feel comfortable with...quite a few post here at OC alone...

I was debating on going to the 6600GT before I started doing some research on it and found countless threads after threads with 6600GT issues...

As you can see...I went ahead and stayed with my Pro...

I do have a 9800SE sitting there... but I really dont want to have to mess around with putting in a new card and fiddling around with all the drivers. I guess I should have done my homework first... didn't realise it was such a troubled model. Nothing I can do about it now though, unless I want to pay a 15% restocking fee to return it.

*UPDATE 1* I tried with Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow, that came with the card, low and behold, it still reset. Though this time it lasted a good 10 minutes, rather than 3 with KotOR2. Guess it isn't as graphically taxing.

*UPDATE 2* Put in the 9800SE, and the same ran for 4 hours till I couldn't handle anymore of it, lol. So I guess I'm just stuck with the card till they release some stable drivers.

Last edited:
Back