• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD playing software?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AFIsoldier

When I upgraded from XP to 2000 Pro (I hate XP...so I would call that an upgrade) I lost the ability to use the Power DVD XP software the computer came with, I got a new sound system for my computer so I would like to watch my DVDs through the computer. What are some good, free DVD playing apps?

^^^ wont play DVD's unless you have a 3rd party dvd player installed.

one i lvoe but it cost $$ is PowerDVD.

And you actually "downgraded" you can not "upgrade" to an older version of windows

And Power DVD works on other versions of windows - i have used it on 98 / server 2003....

Neither WMP or VLC MP will play dvds. Also, the Power DVD I had was "trial" only and when I upgraded (for my purposes it is an up, I HATE XP) the ability to use it went with it, the cd-key was on the computer, and I didn't think to back it up.

VLC *will* play dvds without extra software, as will Media Player classic. I've seen it done, used the former myself for it even.

Ha, obviously have tried that. and nothing happens. But...problem is solved, got Power DVD, nice and not as expensive as I thought, found it for $25 which isn't too awfully bad.

Or with my download? It just copies the codec necessary so Windows Media Player can play it.

I was at the local comp store, and they had it there before those downloads had finished (on 56k for the week while Roadrunner is fixed in my kneck of the woods).

Back