• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comp Will not shut down!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GunnerMan

Well my friend says his computer will not shutdown. He says it makes a wierd noise gets to the logging off screen and it freezes. He said it used to always make the noise and shutdown right after now its gets stuck. I have no clue why its doing it so if you can help me out!!... His system is AMD64 3500+, ASUS A8V mobo, 1 Gig Corsair XMS Ram, Seagate SATA hard drive, BFG 6800 Ultra, and 500W PSU.

Thanks

This might be a longshot, but have you enabled advanced power support in Power Options (in the Control Panel)? When I had an old Compaq that had windows xp on it. It used to make a click noise right after it said "Windows is shutting down" and it would just freeze. I enabled advanced power support and it would go off after I shut it down.

Just a quick thought... is ACPI disabled in the BIOS?

Edit: windows usually powers off using (I think) ACPI S1, so if ACPI has been disabled, either in the os as mentioned, or in the BIOS, you may not shut down properly.

PSU causes alot of shut down problems. I don't know about the clicking though, where is it coming from??

Does he have any problems in windows? or playing games?

No problems in windows or gameing(had his machine reboot when he closed UT2004 tho everytime) but that happeed before these probs. He says it seems to be working now but thank you all for the input as it may help if his problem arises again and I learned something! Thanks Again Gunner

Back