• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

athlon xp and tnt2 overclock??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jarod

hi guys, i have built my own pc. specs here:
athlon xp 2500
biostar m7ncd mobo
512mb ddr2700 (333mhz)
and the worst part:
a nvidia tnt2 m64!

my problem is i got the nvtune (made by nvidia, nforce2 chipset) app, oc'd the cpu a little (maybe 70mhz) up to 1900mhz (default is 1830mhz) and bumped up the gpu clock and the video memory clock 5mhz each (with rivatuner). and i start getting artifacts all over my screen. and to fix that i have to reinstall the video drivers. what is happening here?? I'm running xp pro and gentoo Linux (more often used) and aquamark 3 for a benchmark. whats going on?? any help is appreciated.

oh yea, heat is NOT a issue, the warmest i have seen the thing running is 100f and thats not normal, it normally runs around 70-80, 90 under full load for extended periods

Artifacts suggest a video problem to me. Try setting the video card back to stock and checking again. If there are still artifacts looks like a CPU or memory overclocking issue.

ok guys, i did that (overclocked one at a time, and got them all oc'd), and no artifacts :shrug: ??? weird, but with or without the extra oc the system is preforming worse in aquamark than it was this morning, i was getting about 45 fps, and now I'm getting about 35 without the oc, and 38 with??? (i have to run aquamark on the lowest settings so it doesn't crash my computer!!! video card doesn't support some needed features, its also why prince of Persia: sot won't run :bang head ) someday I'll probably buy a radeon 9500 or a 9800, depending on the price, and then maybe my pc will preform better :burn:

I would suggest that. The TnT2 is pretty well useless for anything but web browsing anymore.

EDIT: Related to your speed problem, check the drivers and make sure everything is set to "ubercrap quality".

yea, this tnt2 sucked in my old 500, and it still sucks in my new 1.8ghz!! gotta get myself a new card, I'm looking more at ati cards, nvidias Linux support is hard for me to get along with. if you're going to give that 9800pro away soon, throw it my way!! LOL!! the reason I'm thinking of getting a 9500 is i might be able to softmod it into a 9700, i was going to get a 9600, because i have heard that they could be modded into a 9800, but i also heard that this was untrue whats going on here, and is there and good video card suggestions?? (the cheaper the better) i want to really blow this tnt2 out of the water!! btw, thanks for the welcome!!

From what I've heard nvidia's linux drivers are much better than ati's (my own expierence with ati's drivers are fairly bad, but that wass a long time ago). If you get something r200-based, the open source dri drivers are fairly good (dri.freedesktop.org). There is an open r300 driver being worked on, but it will be a while before it's very good (reverse-engineering takes time).

Back