• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Connecting my comp to my home theater?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LoneWolf121188

Ok, so I've finally got my comp set up in terms of internal hardware, now its the external stuff I'm focusing on.

Perspective: I've got a $100-$150 (dont know what they go for now) IBM 19in CRT monitor and a $100 or so Creative speaker system (probably like $50 now). But my PC is in my media room, which consists of a $4k Sony 60in LCD TV and a $3k Bose speaker system. Get the point?

So, do I just connect the DVI-I out on my comp to the DVI-D in connector on my TV and the optical out on my audigy to the optical in on the Bose center, or is it more complicated than that? The TV manual clearly states that the DVI-D connecter on the TV is not for hooking up computers, but then what else could a DVI connector be used for (and who reads the manuals, anyway :D )??? Also, my Bose thing only has one optical in, which my xbox is connected to. can I get a splitter or something?

DVI-D for your DVD player or set top box ;)

AFAIK, if your TV doesn't have the correct DVI inputs, then it's going to be tough to get a good signal from the comp to the TV. I can't connect to my rear projection Mitsu without the use of an adapter.. I don' t know if the 6800s have S-Video out, but S-Video has crappy quality anyways.

havent tried it yet. I'm still trying to get this beast Prime stable for 24 hours. in the 2.6GHz range, its about 30 sec stable and I'm trying to figure out why.

doh! turns out that the connecter on the TV is different than the cable I have. The TV has a DVI-D connector, but I have a DVD-A/I cable. Time for a quick run to the mall...

Back