• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ehhhh can you burn a motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slayn

Ok so thursday night, I was helping someone level up in Shadowbane, which basically means I set my macro to level him up and get exp overnight. The sound was loud, so I turned the rheostat on the fan down. Waaay down... yeah bad idea I know. -_-() Anyway I was on it later for an hour when it just shut down. I rebooted, and it showed the VDD numbers as red. Basically the computer would freeze, I couldnt even get to window, and a restart later, I couldnt even post. I went to fry's and got a new 2600 sempron to replace my thought broken barton 2800.

Ok heres where it gets dumber. I wasnt thinking today. I put the sempron in, put the stock hsf it comes with, and then turned it on. It booted up as 1100 mhz, which was like 100x11 or some crap. I went to bios, and it froze. The computer was on for about 15 seconds when I found out I forgot to plug the fan in. -_-()

So I turned it off, and now I have basically having the same problem, it posted the first time, crashed in bios, posted and froze, now it wont post. I know I know I suck, and ive been building pc's for like 6 years, im just forgetful and make dumb dumb dumb mistakes. Is it possible both my cpu's are fine, and I just ruined my mobo?

It is an Epox 8rda+, older revion I believe. Its an nforce 2 motherboard, I think its like 1 year old. Any um . . . clue guys? Aside from the fact I do really dumb things...

I had already figured it was a 8RDA+ before even getting to the part where you stated it was the 8RDA+...sad to say...the board is now FUBARed...the 8RDA+'s use very cheap caps...and odds are one or possible more has been burned out...

Just be glad it didnt litterly catch on fire like my first 8RDA+ did...booted up...loud bang...then litterly was on fire...just a good thing I have a window and seen it start before it fried everything...

Damn it! I had boughten that new barton core, memory, and agp video card a few months ago. I regretted that I didnt go the athlon 64 route, but I didnt want to buy a new motherboard. Craaaaaaaap. God, I am kicking myself in the *** for that. So I should take back the sempron and buy a new nforce 2? Damn it all...

Well, I don't see why you can't RMA the motherboard, unless it's already past warranty. I don't really consider it your fault, as I've done things like that before and survived, and your mobo shouldn't destroy itself like that over this situation.

As for your CPU's, they may be dead, but the only way to know for sure is to check in another motherboard. If there isn't any discolouration or other damage to the CPUs, then there's a reasonable chance of survival.

Thanks guys, it was the motherboard! Yeah I replaced that piece of crap with an Asus A7N8X-E, it was only $100 at fry's! I was having a problem with the motherboard before this incident, where both left and right audio channels were playing in the right channel, and I couldnt fix it until I replaced the motherboard, so looks liek it was a good move! Screw RMA'ing, it was a piece of crap! :p Thanks again guys!

Back