• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ed Is Back, No Laptop Today! Hooray!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sjaak said:
Is that a silent poke in regard of the recent Laptop Reviews?

I like them myself.

I have been reading the front page daily for abour 3-4 years now, nothing has happened in that time to make me want to not read them. :D

I'd like to know what the majority thinks on it:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=369348

I don't mind the laptops review terribly, but I mean if you are really looking for performance laptops just are not where its at.

I'll take words from Ed over a laptop review any day of the week. :) Like hkgonra though, I'm a frontpage zealot and no one could even pry the daily frontpage read from my cold dead hands.

Well, I have to agree that the laptop reviews were boring the hell out of me, but I read them anyhow. Seems to me that there's not a hell of a lot going on anywhere in the industry right now, [H] is hurting for news too. Must be that time of the year. :shrug:

I was more interested in the pictures of the latop in one of ED's article more then the article.

AMd however might not be in as bad of shape as Intel on this matter however
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21531
Dual 2.4GHz Athlon 64's would be nothing sort of fast....
That is if they are not 6 months behind intel on getting the new cores out that is.
However with AMD and fast launches, i wouldnt get my hopes up to much

Check front page articles everyday. I have read the laptop reviews though that is not really where my interests lay. I like Ed's reviews and as stated read them but would prefer a few less laptop reviews as well.

violineb said:
Oh how sadly you are mistaken :p

Take a good look at the new Dell XPS Gen2 :D

http://www6.tomshardware.com/mobile/20050224/dell_xps-06.html

Now what do you think?

I'm not misinformed, I just have a different opinion than you. I still think thats terrible... I would have my desktop system whooping that system day and night spending that amount of money. I just think of all the things that could be done with a desktop system for that amount of money.

Perhaps more importantly, is the way I prefer to use things, which is my number one turnoff for laptops... I wouldn't really care to do anything other than word processing and email - utility based things - computing on laptops just isn't as comfortable to me as using a desktop.

First of all, the laptop is, "The stuff dreams are made of." I would love to have one if they didn't cost as much as a descent used car.

Second of all, the following is in response to the front page article entitled "The Real World"

Dear Ed,
I read your article about why anyone would want to buy these new technologies of Multi-core, x86-64, and SLI. I must say that i disagree. I understand where you are coming from as far as why an individual would want to buy such things when they do not understand half of the technology or capabilities. But it is usually not the individual the company is thinking about, its the businesses. I believe that Intel and others are primarily targeting business' with there new technologies. If it were all about the home user, it wouldn't be the Intel Developers Forum, it would be the Intel Fan Forum.
When you said people want it if it is "cheap" and "easy", I agree that people are not excited about these new technologies, if they even know what they are. But businesses are excited. Multi-core and x86-64 can increase productivity a lot at the workplace, as far as jobs that involve massive calculations or rendering jobs which the number of is growing all the time. I know of an architect that used to use an old Pentium box to render the very basic of 3D home walk thru video in which it took the computer about a couple weeks to create a simple short video of a 3D house. As the new technology comes out, he can now render a much better 3D video of a house in a lot less time and still be able to work on other sketches while his video is being rendered on the same computer. Rather than saying that x86-64 and multi-core, single dye is going to change your life. Say that this computer will increase productivity by 100%.
At home, people will have there Pentium 3 box that runs AOL and hopefully Firefox. But at work, they will have a dual-core Athlon 64 running XP 64-bit, with 2 Quadro cards running in SLI that can blow through there needed tasks in less than half the time, and look twice as good as there old Pentium 4 box running Windows 2000, with an MX440. This is exactly why JAK Films upgraded from there Apple content creation boxes to Opteron based boxes, they render faster and better than the past technology.
The future is not these technologies in every home, it’s these technologies in every workspace. Being able to compile massive amounts of code, pixels, and media, while seamlessly checking your email, browsing web sites, listening to media, and working on the next project. If you tell people that, they will want it. Even normal people stand back and say, “Wow, did that already finish!?” They just say that at work more than at home.
As far as Media Center PC’s go, they are hard for people to buy because there aren’t that many people that want to learn how to use this second computer as an all-in-one media center. But my kids will know what an all-in-one box is, how to use it, and wonder how we got along without it. I rip my personal collection of movies into AVI’s or MPEG’s and whenever I want to watch a movie, I scroll through my collection and double click the movie I want to watch rather than having to hunt through my DVD collection looking for a specific movie and loading into a DVD player that I have for to turn on. When I encode those movies, my old Athlon XP 2000+ ripped it overnight, my new Athlon 64 3200+ rips it faster than real time. And my computer isn’t disabled during this time.
I believe the generation of people today that are downloading music will love the idea of Media Center PC’s. Sure they could go to the store and buy there CD, but it is just faster, and easier to double click it. As technology prices fall, I think the new generation of families that understand what these computers will do, will buy a one computer that does everything for $1000, and not buy a nice DVD player, cable box, and a surround sound receiver.
They say that every generation has a culture shock effect on there parents. I believe the new culture shock is the convenience of tomorrow. My parents will see my home and be just as shocked as there parents were when they grew long hair and sang about sex and drugs. And there parents when they saw Elvis shake his hips on TV. My parents don’t dream of a wired home but I do. The standard person will not know their wired home works, they just know that they can put a DVD into the computer, and after it has been in there once, they can watch it whenever they want. With all due respect, technology companies are not targeting 40-50 year olds, they are targeting teen-30 year olds.

James Mcmanus

imho
You are talking about niche markets. From what I have seen the VAST majority of business users would be better off with a linux thin client to do e-mail word processing and mainframe access because that is all they do.

NaturalBK said:
But it is usually not the individual the company is thinking about, its the businesses. I believe that Intel and others are primarily targeting business' with there new technologies.

The average business user, uses email, office, a web browser, and business apps like stuff call centers use (simple crap).

Secretaries and accountant's dont need render farms.

Architechs, video/photo workers, and CAD users are small in numbers.

Exactly.
So the message should be "the smaller the better'

I'm suprised why nobody has mentioned n-ITX yet, seeing as it's the size of a 120mm fan and it's a fully functioning PC. IT can power word and whatever else with ease, and it's cheap too. Imagine if you could buy your 15" monitor/computer for a very very low cost (<$300), and have a computer system that saves you a ton of space and electricity.

I swear, about 1% of computer users NEED the stuff the OEMs are putting out these days.

Intel Pentium4 650 sounds no different than 3.4GHz Intel Pentium 4 Processor.

Yet even with this, people could use an 800MHz rig no problem.
People complain their 3GHz rig is slow when they have like 3,000 adaware objects and 15 viruses (I have seen this first hand), which is almost humorous.

Anyway, I'm glad there aren't as many laptop articles anymore.

Yeah really, I've had people think my old K6-2-400 webhacks "must be a really fast new machine" because I keep them sleek and clean and their P4 3G they are comparing it to is bogged down with malware.

Back