• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD Blowhole

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dicecca112

That was a cool little article there, but it makes me wonder, seeing all that free space on the sides there, why not shrink the size of DVD players, you could cut the size of one of them by half. And who would have thought it was molex powered, and connected via an IDE cable.

So basically I can take out the drive from a DVD player and install it in a PC? is there a video card in there also I should know about?

They're not always so compatible.

I looked at the optical drive of my father in law's DVD player (since I had hoped to replace it with a slot-loading drive), and its cable and power supply were totally different. There was a ribbon cable, but it was nothing like an IDE cable.

As for the article, it was fun and cool, but I would have liked to have seen before and after stats on artifacting, since that was supposed to be the point of the mod.

As for reducing the space, many of the current DVD players are doing just that. Just look at some of the units at Target, such as this one. I do wonder a bit at how well they're cooled, however. -- Paul

I have a friend (and fellow forum member King_Warg) who did that once. I had a dvd player struck by lightning. he wanted to look at it. took the dvd drive out, quick mod, and voila.... worked for PC.

King_Warg is a near-genius with what he can do. I can have something i swear is broken, and won't work (and have a dozen people to back me up on it) and he can take it, and have it up and running better than orginally within 24 hours. I don't know how he does it... but he does.

What the speed of "normal" DVD players.
I have a couple lying around, might be interesting to see whats in there.

dicecca112 said:
That was a cool little article there, but it makes me wonder, seeing all that free space on the sides there, why not shrink the size of DVD players, you could cut the size of one of them by half.

DVD Players are generally a standard size so they are stackable with other electronics, ie recievers, amps, etc.

gnufsh said:
I have the urge to do this to every piece of electronics I see. I haven't actually done it yet, though.

Ditto, lol. Still think if I could fit one in there, my Gamecube would love an XP-90. :sn:

macklin01 said:
As for reducing the space, many of the current DVD players are doing just that. Just look at some of the units at Target, such as this one. I do wonder a bit at how well they're cooled, however. -- Paul

LOL...I got that DVD player for Christmas.

Anyhow, cool article. I've thought about doing that to lots of stuff but I'm just too lazy to actually do it.

jchsatx09 said:
How do you overclock a DVD player?
Simple, since there are components that require a clock signal to operate, we know that there must be a crystal somewhere that provides a refrence frequency. Replace it witha faster one, and it's overclocked (or broken).

LMAO, you guys are sumthin else you know that? OC a dvd player? I know y too, just to say you did it...yup, dont lie!! It's funny how things work like, when i first got my dremel, i wanted to cut up everything. Its the same but at a higher level after pc modding and oc'ing. You want to make all electronics better then factory defaults by any means necessary. Logical mod to your artifacting dvd player tho.

I wonder if his 'glitches' are those little pauses you get when the dvd player switches layers mid film. I've never seen a DVD player that does not do this. Also, I hate to rain on this parade but if any of you've ever opened up a closed, fanless electronic device you've probably noted the complete lack of dust regardless of how many years old the unit is. Adding the fan will change this of course, and the dust won't just be coming in through the vents on the bottom but it'll also get sucked into the optical drive. And if that ruins the unit? Well he sure can't warranty it with that big hole cut in the top.

MiseryQ said:
What the speed of "normal" DVD players.
A DVD player (just like CD players) only have to be 1x so I doubt the company's that make them would spend more to make them faster.

yeah... the one in my current stand-alone dvd player is 2x... (also a toshiba).... it will go 2x speed on playback smoothly... anything faster and it starts doing the 5-10 second skips... which lets me know that it is a 2x drive...

Back