• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacement for the stock Nvidia 6600 fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sjaak

http://www.overclockers.com/articles1207/

Is it just me or isn't fifty dollars insane for a VGA replacement cooler? I got my ATI silencer for 15!

And wow..a 5 degree improvement in temperature? What's so special about that?

Sorry, but calling it an 'effective alternative for cooling nVidia's Geforce 6600GT GPU' sounds pretty ridiculous to me :-/

well you know what they say... if you want the best you have to pay for it....... I wouldn't buy a FX-55 cpu either but it's hard to deny that it's the best processor you money can buy.

And that review was with the XFX card, alot of other 6600GT's have even worse stock HS's

Still i find it insane to ask 50 dollars for it. 5 degrees..that difference can easily be made up from fluctuations im ambient temp :/

Too bad the review didnt mention the INSANE amount of precision that base has. THIS VGA COOLER ISNT MADE FROM AN ASSEMBLY LINE!! That thing is precision work.

PM customer9000...he;s the rep here

hmm.... *thinks*... yeah... i remember seeing somethin' about that now.... something about thermal transfer and all. honestly, how much does better precision help? Say, you have a non-lapped copper heatsink, and a lapped heatsink. How much does it honestly help?

as far as precision... when i had a 6600 GT (xfx as a matter of fact) the copper base plate that was strapped to the aluminum sink was nasty. i could file down the edge of my fingernail with it. so off it came. I introduced it to some various grades of sandpaper and smoothed it out. i netted a 3*C drop with just that.

alinosa said:
as far as precision... when i had a 6600 GT (xfx as a matter of fact) the copper base plate that was strapped to the aluminum sink was nasty. i could file down the edge of my fingernail with it. so off it came. I introduced it to some various grades of sandpaper and smoothed it out. i netted a 3*C drop with just that.

You saved 50 dollars by sacrificing a 2 degree temp drop :p

shoot, i GAINED a temp drop AND saved some bucks... (and then promptly threw away like $230 when i shaved a couple of resistors off my board with a screwdriver...*sigh* but that's another sad story.) so yeah, it ran at 560/11xx and never broke 65*C with the stock cooler.

alinosa said:
shoot, i GAINED a temp drop AND saved some bucks... (and then promptly threw away like $230 when i shaved a couple of resistors off my board with a screwdriver...*sigh* but that's another sad story.) so yeah, it ran at 560/11xx and never broke 65*C with the stock cooler.

if you would have bought that replacement cooler for 50 dollars, you would have gotten 2 degree lower temps...thats what i meant..lol

I lapped my stock HS and netted a nice 6°C with some AS5. The HS was in bad shape though. I lapped more than any other HS to date. Using the stock drivers (66.xx). I get around no more than 70° load(logical estimate). I wonder what $50 would get me?
I been waiting for that review to be completed, and I must admit. I was expecting more from it.
It is a nice looking HS though, and one of the few available for the 6600GT.

Sjaak said:
if you would have bought that replacement cooler for 50 dollars, you would have gotten 2 degree lower temps...thats what i meant..lol
oh... gotcha... dang i could have gotten name brand 2C...lol

Reading the review several things come to mind:
  • The tests were done when the stock heatsink was modified by adding a lapped copper base. As far as I read the Statis cooler did not need to be lapped.
  • The stock cooler was also tested with more mounting force that it would usually be attached using. Meaning that otherwise the difference would have been greater.
  • If you have $50 and want an easy way to knock down the temps, or hey, just want it cos it looks cooler then its your $50.It was just reviewed and found to provide an improvement, you arent all being commanded to go get one right now.

Back