• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Little Billy Gates Benefited From Not Having a PC"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RoadWarrior

Heh well, I agreed with just about everything Ed had to say on that one. But I'd like to add something, just for the pure irony of it. The LA Times OBVIOUSLY didn't research much of Bill Gates' history, since he blew off school to startup Microsoft! :D Just made me laugh how they picked such a damn poor example to start with.

Road Warrior

RoadWarrior said:
Heh well, I agreed with just about everything Ed had to say on that one. But I'd like to add something, just for the pure irony of it. The LA Times OBVIOUSLY didn't research much of Bill Gates' history, since he blew off school to startup Microsoft! :D Just made me laugh how they picked such a damn poor example to start with.

Road Warrior

yeah they always seem to forget to mention that he dropped out of college.

a agreed with Ed on pretty much everything he said in the article too its funny how some of these reporters can be so simple minded.

This is the best part about school and computers

Both Bill Gates and Michael Dell blew off school to do computer stuff, and guess what, they make more money than you ever will, while you studied your *** off and work 9-5 in a cubicle.

I would say that yes, having a computer is a distraction, but not having one is worse. I've had times where there would be NO WAY to get an assignment done without a computer, period. For those who can't write well, I can type faster than I can write, and I can almost type faster than a normal person speaks. It saves me that much time so I an possibly get something done.

However, a computer is best left off for other things.

Like if I have to do math, I will do it while listening to music, just because it helps me concentrate and get thinking, but sometimes it's more negative than positive. Sometimes it's easier to get focused on the job that needs to be done and do it, otherwise the computer goes on. Plus, it also helps to alleviate some stress when doing homework, posting on forums like these is a very very relaxing activity for me.

there are, and always will be, people afraid of technology, and afraid of what it will do. they will always be afraid that they will be found to be 'outdated' and replaced with one of those infernal machines.

frank, i completely agree with your point, but dont you think it is ironic that those people's attitudes towards technology are the exact reason they are afraid. They are afraid that technology will replace them, but by not learing to work with technology, they are indeed being replaced by people that do. Something to ponder.....

This makes me wonder what technology crazy people of my generation will be afraid of when they get old. Can't wait to hear them talking about the simple days of the PC when you really had to work and press keys, and wern't distracted so much.

I really couldn't do my school work or future job without a computer. If I handed in a report writen by hand, the profs would laugh at me and ask for the real copy. Most of my work absolutly requires me to do it on a computer. Performing math by hand would be compleatly wreckless, the chances of screwing it up are way to high. You want to find out your seatbelt doesn't work because I didn't integrate properly?

DOnt forget before PCs they had type writers. You dont need micrososft word to type a paper. There all alternatives. Either way though yeah computers do save a crap load of time.

Well people will have to start stopping the excuses and learn computers. The "I don't know how to turn on a PC" is quite annoying :) That worked in the mid 90's...not in 2005.

That stopped being an excuse when they moved the power switch to the front of the computer instead of the back. As far as I'm concerned, that's one of the biggest advances ever.

Gnufsh said:
That stopped being an excuse when they moved the power switch to the front of the computer instead of the back. As far as I'm concerned, that's one of the biggest advances ever.

yeah pushing one button is a little ridiculous to not be able to do nowadays.

Hey, when the switch was on the back, it used to be a little hard to find, especially if you weren't used to the location of the switch on that specific computer. Now, not only has the switch become a button and moved to the front, but since many computers lack a reset button, it is the only button on the computer! Not to mention, if you buy a computer, is should come with directions telling you how to turn it on.

Back