• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 Antec choices, which one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tytlyf

Disabled
My psu i have now came with the case i bought. Pretty cheap 430w. I am going to upgrade my psu to be on the safe side. Here are my choices.

Antec SL400 400w-----$64.95
Antec Smartpower350 350w-----$59.99
Antec TruePower330 330w-----$69.99

From the information I gathered, the Truepower line is better than the smartpower or the SL. My question is this, is it worth paying more money for less power? Even though that power may be more reliable. I know Antec is a great company, should i save $5 and go for 400w, or spend it and get a 330 that might be better quality? thx for the feedback everyone.

true power is the best on the list... but, have you considered other options, like the new fortron blue storm for example? tp330 is a good psu but it won't be enough for your system at what you are running it at.

The TruePower series is the better line that Antec makes. I personally have the SL400. I don't have any trouble with it and I find it to be very quiet. Depending on your finances, maybe you could spring for a TruePower 430.

Don't get me wrong, the Antec TP is a great unit....
There is a wealth of really nice brands out there ready to be purchased. They will top the models you are considering. If you are ready to think outside of what the review pages are recommending.
Fortron is a fine pick. It is a staple on this forum for an obvious reason. Even the lower wattage units(300 watts) can put out some nice numbers. It may be even cheaper than the Antec TP unit.

Disclamer: This post is not meant to be sarcastic, just informative. :D

Last edited:
You have a 425w in your sig, why would you want to go down in wattage? Also, like the others suggested, if your willing to get something other than the Antec, I would also suggest a Fortron.

well, some of the local stores in my area where i do my purchases (best buy, frys, circuit city, etc..) only have no-name brands except for the antec. I did find an Enermax 370 noisetaker for 69.99 at pcclub, and from what I'm hearing thats a great unit. But the store is on backorder or in limited supply. I think i might go with the enermax. I might even break down and go to newegg.com. I think that is the best bet with alot of options. I just hate the fact of buying something online, its conveninent, but if i have a problem, I can't get in my car with my receipt and show up at their front door. I'll check out newegg.

tytlyf said:
I just hate the fact of buying something online, its conveninent, but if i have a problem, I can't get in my car with my receipt and show up at their front door. I'll check out newegg.

Newegg is one of the best if not the best when it comes to returns, so don't worry about that. :)

tytlyf said:
I've never ordered a psu online, how will I know if it is the correct size for my case?
check this out, free shipping.
Unless you're buying a specialized monster PSU like a 600+ watt unit or have a really odd case, both of those will fit. PSU's mostly come in a universal size.

what do you think about both those psu's. The enermax for $83 free shipping. Or the fortron for $56 ( i think this is an excellent buy, newegg has it for like $75)

Personally I would go with the Fortron or the Antec from a cost standpoint. My antec lasted three years. I just replaced it with the newer model that has more amps on the +12 volt line.
Both would more than enough for your system.

Back