• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amtgard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TollhouseFrank

Senior Headphone Guru
just got back from my first Amtgard!

It was great!

i am SO tired and sore, though....

Anyone else here on the forums attend Amtgard? What chapter?

I'm part of Blackrock (local chapter here in WV)....

Clan: BOOM (Brotherhood Of Overweight Magic-users)

Its great... even though I got totally 0wned because i'm so slow and can't move out of the way of the crotch-rockets... er.... javelins...

Got Chicagoed (what they call getting hit in the groin) 3 times.... by those stupid crotch-rockets/javelins...

ahh! i see!

this would be pretty cool for me, i won western regional Broadsword, and Oriental sword combat 2 years in a row.

so if this what i think it is, then SWEET!

it depends, shard.. did you have class systems and stuff? I am starting out as a wizard (woot... get to throw colorful socks at each other).

well i was more refering to realy beating the crap out of each other, and i mostly do alot of real stuff, so yeah, not sure what you mean by class systems with me, but i might look into it, lol

i enjoy the beating the snot out of each other as well.... i'm decent florentine with dually LongSwords.... but still get beat each time cause i'm too big to move out of the way of a halberd...

thats where i pwn, i might be a big guy, but i am more agile then alot of the gymnasts here in tremeonton, and we are a huge sports town, now aint that somthin?

and on those dualies, do you use real size, or BS size? becuase if you used real size, be prepared to almost take your own arms off

shard said:
well i was more refering to realy beating the crap out of each other, and i mostly do alot of real stuff, so yeah, not sure what you mean by class systems with me, but i might look into it, lol

hehe, shard- seems youre a candidate for the geekfights as well... see above...

anyways - good to hear about the common hobby.

most geekfights i spectate, but now and then i get in with gladius-class weapons- allso florintine. :)

roflmao, i just checked that link

that is EXACTLY what i used to do with my buddies for practicing for Sword championships, some of the most fun i have ever had!

i made a whole set of Tanto, Wakazashi, and Katana from Retan years ago, i wonder if i still have them

i still have all my old Shinai's, those suckers hurt, but are damn fun to play with, and i even have a Shinai that is 7ft long to simulate a true Claymore, damn cool stuff!

yeah, geekfights started out as two friends beating the snot out of each other with pool cue's for lack of better things to do, and actually developed into something rather fun.
PVC weapons are the exception for us - we mostly use padded dowles, lost of duct tape and cardboard. Some use shields made in roughly the same manner... weve found that it turns off a few of the amtguard/larpers and such, but some can associate, and we welcome them...
Edit: we never really understood that whole thing.
is there an official amtguard/larping site that i can bring back to the leigion and say "this is what those other guys do"... most of us are ignorant as to what it really is, but we know its simmilar.

http://amtgard.com:8080/

that's the national site, but you can find local chapters there.... i found out about our local chapter 2 weeks ago from a friend who was invited there. Its great fun....

and as for foam weapons... they still HURT... i have huge bruises up and down.... those guys dont' back off just cause they are foam...

and yes, real size weapons.... it HURTS to get clocked on the head when you dive in real fast on a guy with a pole-arm... and he hits you with the shaft.... on the head....

shard said:
wasnt there this club thing, something like SCM, or SCA, but they dressed up and wore real armor, and crap, bunch of crazy people

yeah, SCA i think its simmilar. we tend to rag on them ( and other simmilar hobbies - larp, ampguard)
but its more than likely it is out of our own ignorance rather than solid reasoning.

weve gotten a few good recruits though,from those types of clubs - usually they are the ones that are humble, and curious. Those are usually challenging fighters, and we have good time.

we're a bit more raw and simple-
sometimes its hard for some of that crowd to accept, often its somewhat comical when they try to fight with imaginary weapons, dream up powerful shields, steal our soul, and complain about broken boffers- those types get a bit crabby about losing, but luckily not all are like that.

Thanks for the link! -ill pass the link on to the leigion, its a bit silly that we pooh-pooh things we arent fimilliar with...
ill look into what things are around locally, because those clubs are probably our best bet at recruitment...

Edit:
possibly getting something together with local chapter amtguard... our weapons and rules are incompatible, however, were working on *ideas* of demonstrations, and building warm fuzzies, etc...

Last edited:
TollhouseFrank said:
http://amtgard.com:8080/

that's the national site, but you can find local chapters there.... i found out about our local chapter 2 weeks ago from a friend who was invited there. Its great fun....

and as for foam weapons... they still HURT... i have huge bruises up and down.... those guys dont' back off just cause they are foam...

and yes, real size weapons.... it HURTS to get clocked on the head when you dive in real fast on a guy with a pole-arm... and he hits you with the shaft.... on the head....

its all about knowing the technique, i very rarely get hit anymore, not trying to be cocky here, but i use the tuought technique, and add some of my more agile moves to my own concoctions, and thus i win quite often, lol

but yeah, i have been hit upside the head a few times by a "warhammer" and that just effing hurt like hell

dude... i'm a 400lb guy... 6'3.... i am a BIG target.... that's why i chose the Wizard class.... (and am part of the guild Brotherhood Of Overweight Magi... or BOOM).

and besides... i wear down quickly... i can back ANYONE up with flourentine l-swords.... but after about 2 minutes... i'm done... i'm all outta whack

hehehe, its all about the endurance, i had one tournement that lasted about 14hrs, and i was in every other match, and they each lasted about 10min's, so thus, i was TIRED!

Sweet, I have a group of friends who are (or were, can't remember which) in the SCA.
I had a blast learning medieval combat from them. It's been a few years since I played seeing as how there's nobody else around for dueling (they're all up in Boston.)
Short sword flourentine was my favorite for awhile, but eventually I moved on to prefer greatsword. Let me tell you, getting whiplashed in the back of your head by a greatsword boffer hurts quite a bit too ;)
Hmmm...I wonder if they still go to Penzic(sp?) every year.

Back