• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory Prices Dropping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HousERaT

Senior Air Extraordinaire
I would have to disagree with Ed's final statement in not buying much memory right away...... I'd say now is just as good a time as any to buy ram, actually even better than before.... I purchased a gig of TwinMOS ram from Newegg about a month ago for about $145.00 shipped..... you can get the same gig now for under $115.00 shipped. It seems that memory prices are falling, at least a little bit on most mems...... get it while it's hot is what I say.

http://www.overclockers.com/tips00752/

Well no matter if he thinks it wise to buy memory or not, I still did. In fact I got 2 256meg pc-3200 sodimm's from the Egg for about $60 shipped. Sounds like a great time to buy memory to me. Thats just one of many examples.

I guess my reason for disagreeing with Ed in the first place is there is no guarantee these prices will drop any further, maybe they will and maybe they won't..... but it would really suck if I wait for the prices to go lower and then all of a sudden the glut is gone and the prices go up again...... this might not happen but as far as I see it, ram is a low as it's ever been since I started collecting gigs of this stuff.... :D

HousERaT said:
I guess my reason for disagreeing with Ed in the first place is there is no guarantee these prices will drop any further, maybe they will and maybe they won't..... but it would really suck if I wait for the prices to go lower and then all of a sudden the glut is gone and the prices go up again...... this might not happen but as far as I see it, ram is a low as it's ever been since I started collecting gigs of this stuff.... :D

Exactly what I thought, I mean how much further can they drop them since they are already in the red selling them?

dunno..... but I just bought a gig today of the Blue Mushkin stuff that is supposed to have the "BH quality" chips. Only costed $127 shipped.... this stuff is reported to do 250MHz easy with 3.4v & 1.5-2-2-x timings..... guess I'll find out in two days.... hope the price doesn't go up by then..... ;)

i bought 2GB of corsair xms from newegg... 4x 512mb, valueselect. if i could get them to work in my system, i would be happy.

Last edited:
RAM prices, just like other hardware prices, fluctuate in cycles. They will slowly get lower in price for a while, hit a plateau, then go up and hit a peak, then slowly come back down to the plateau... then back up to the peak.... it goes in REGULAR cyles...

I take it not a lot of you invest...Ed is probably right because trends last for a couple of months, look at the last time dram was dirt cheap. Was at those prices for around 6-9 months, if not more. This has a while to go until the surplus is sold off and demand is a lot stronger.

Too bad that upgrading to 2GB won't give me much extra :p

If DDR prices stay really low for awhile, i can see it hurting DDR-2 sales...as in...DDR is soooo cheap, why bother buying ddr2?

You can buy the Wintec PC3200 "Ampo" modules from newegg for $35.99 for a 512MB right now. I bought one for my mother, and it's good ram. If you need ram, there is no reason not to buy it now. How much cheaper can it get? 35.99. How much more expensive can it get? History would indicate there is no limit.

I've seen cheap dram before, and the pricing has always rebounded. If it doesn't this time, there will be no precedent. When it's virtually free (as it is now), you simply can't save much money by waiting.

Sjaak said:
If DDR prices stay really low for awhile, i can see it hurting DDR-2 sales...as in...DDR is soooo cheap, why bother buying ddr2?
Even if you ignore pricing, there is little incentive to adopt DDR2. DDR2 did not fundamentally improve video card performance, and it has been similiarly unsucessful at improving system performance. Until the makers actually derive some user benefit from the adoption of DDR2, the pricing is really a secondary consideration.

I was always under the impression that good prices stimulated demand? Is this not the case? Let the economists among us speak now....... :D

Dunno if it's still around or not, but there was just a $83.00/GB of Kingmax deal on Newegg with a $15 MIR. I got in on that for a spare computer, it should turn out nicely.

Back