• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCForums Noob Helpers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TollhouseFrank

Senior Headphone Guru
I know there are "Noob Helper" Threads in various subforums (especially F@H and SETI)... but... is there something for the general forums? Ya know... a place to come to get info on how to better help out people new to the forums?

If there is not, I would like to start a thread about Helping people new to OCForums. The reason is I have lately personally taken it upon myself to help as many new people as possible with private messages and such before they 'hit the floors' so to speak. I find it is a great way to get them some quick help with forum layouts and such, and to help them with potential problems (especially signatures and where to post at).

I am pretty much new on helping such people out, and would like to continue to do so. However, I know I may be missing some things such as better ways to help and such. Are there any suggestions that you other members can give me to help me out on my quest to become a better forum member by becoming an unofficial 'meet-n-greeter'?

Any help for my cause, especially advice, would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
There's the mentor thing for the Folding thing. Oh yeah,t hat was mentioned. I don't know. Senior Members help the noobs as well as everyone else. I help... hence my sig. I'll be the flight attendant in flight OCF.

ko... I can probably do that too... (add that to my Sig).... but honestly... since You do it a bit NLogic... any hints? I love helpin' people... but when it comes to introducing them to the forums... I'm sometimes at a loss... I want to do my best to make a good impression and let them know that these are a very friendly set of forums, and they won't regret it here... but I feel like I make things worse at times... dunno if its the way i come off... or the many arguments with the Linux guys or what...

ANY helpful hints?

mmm... I usually rave on how it's G rated...usually tries to keep people on the same level... how diverse we are... try not to get too controversial so that people would get offended since we're sensitive about that... respectful... good sense of humor... we actually meet in person when people organize meets (like i have :p) and how we used to help the former owner, Skip, maintain the forums with our donations until iNet bought it... we are a community... people talk off the forums while they met the forums...

and I met my husband here. That one brings a giggle. ;)

No idea as to helping people out. Though we could always use you as a mentor for folding. Or you could do like same thing but for new people, just go to users and set like date back to like 2 days and get some names to pm.

on this forum, OC Community, it's one of the stickies. Either that, or go to the Folding team and it's one of the stickies there too. :p

i try to explain everything in layman's terms, thus them being able to understand even at the most basic level, and always listen, and be patient, i help out newbs every day, and i tend to love it

Check out my sticky in the folding section. That is the Folding Mentor Project.

Our goal is to shed the light of folding and help newbies with any questions about the forums or really anything else for that matter. :)

I found this site while looking at an unlocking kit at frozen cpu. And started asking typical noob questions. Every one that answered my questions were very help full. I (and the rest of the noobs) really apreciate your help, and non-condecending advice offered by all.
Great site guys :attn:
Thank You,
Killa

Back