• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Hot Oil Cooling" - Ed Stroligo 4/4/05

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'd imagine that it would be worse than a good watercooling setup, but better than current air coolers. For the $15 to manufacture it, it should be worth it to OEMs for the fact that it would allow them to ditch a loud fan, while cooling better.

Yep and if it is only $15 to make it we should be able to pick them up here for between $75-100.

Magnetic oils have been used for ages in Hi-Fi speaker designs for cooling the speaker units, and quite effeciently as well. I don't recall exactly, but I believe Bowers and Wilkins (B&W) pioneered on that particular field....

Might just become interesting.

Cheers, Flix

It seems interesting, but I would definitely need to see how effective it would be in a retail product before purchasing it. However, it does seem to be a viable option for casual overclockers who don't want to use water or phase change.

Hmmm make your own?
http://addis.caltech.edu/courses/labs/lab4-prt1.html

Although I've also heard that electrolysis of an iron nail will produce "small enough" particles of iron oxide. So you can just mix that up with surfactant and water I suppose. Also transmission fluids and synthetic motor oils are specifically designed to hold particulate matter in suspension.

Designing a pump will be somewhat interesting for the experimenter however, you'll need to make a series of coils that pulse in series I guess. Maybe there's some stepper motor driver chips you can use. I wonder what the practical limits are for pumping the stuff magnetically, I mean after all if the heat capacity is only half as good as water with an oil base but you can magnetically pump it at a rate of 1000s of litres a minute, then it's gonna work better.

:eek: ferrofluids from some lab supply places seem to run at around $30 for a 70ml bottle, that HAS to be serious gouging.

Road Warrior

By reading the article, this cooling device sounds a lot like a supped up Lava Lamp. Heating the oil makes it float away to cool off and then falls back to the heat source.

All with a bit of help from magnets and nanobits.

Am I the only one who feels nervous about placing a magnet in close proximity to my CPU?

I mean, yea Speaker magnets are in cases, HDD Magnets, etc.

BUT those are all either Shielded, or really far away from the CPU, or not terribly powerfull.

Forgive me for sounding stupid but what the big deal here???

This invention sounds like it works just like a heatpipe. They don't require any energy either.... I thought that was the 'big deal' about this thing. All it seems to be doing is move heat away from one place and dump it in another, heatpipes do that already.

This thing better have much more performance than a conventional heatpipe or it'll be a complete waste of time!!!

thingi

the way I think of it is heatpipes.
Been around a long time...
Really they dont cool all too well on thier own, however when worked into a high end heatsink, as you all know they can be very effective...
I don expect this to take off anytime soon.

Elif Tymes said:
Am I the only one who feels nervous about placing a magnet in close proximity to my CPU?

I don't think magnets effect a CPU much. Transistors opening and closing have to do with applied current, not magnets.

The only place you don't want it is near the HDD, because it can damage your data. What really makes me nervous is floppy disks. someone I know took appart some old floppy drives and uses the magnetic disc from the inside as fridge magnets. Damn, they are strong! To quote him: "not only can you pin a picture of your kid on the fridge, you can pin your whole kid!" To think that that is resting right on top of my hard drive...

I gotta say I resent and even dispute the allegation that most overclockers don't like to take care of their systems. Sure there are always going to be the ones who want something for nothing, AKA lazy, but most?

"Of course, you can always go to water or more, but going to water or more is like getting a puppy, you have to care for it, and most people who overclock don't like that."

Pumping oil, regardless of the transport mechanism, will be not much different than pumping water. Sure water is for the most part conductive, but so are little pieces of metal, so a leak would still be bad news. Am I missing something?

Hoot

isnt it like a car?? wouldnt the heat eventually lead to get thik (so it looks black) and not do its job well and then u have to change it after X amount of time?

Hoot said:
Pumping oil, regardless of the transport mechanism, will be not much different than pumping water. Sure water is for the most part conductive, but so are little pieces of metal, so a leak would still be bad news. Am I missing something?

That is true, Hoot. However, it depends on the composition of the oil/metal mixture. Wouldn't it be the same as if you plastered your CPU with AS5? probably similar problems.

Hoot said:

Hoot

I believe that it will be a closed system. Having users toy around with oil stuffed with metal particles doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Back