• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ever Feel Cursed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sentential

Contributing Member
....Cuz I sure as hell do. Lets run down the list of the most recent events:

Managed to find a set of BH5 a couple years back. Despite what volts I threw at it never ran 222. The most I could get out of it was 2-2-3-7. Not only this but not even a week after having it, somone broke into my room and stole it (no joke)

I got a jump on the 9800NP deal. Everyone got cards with Samsung.... I got one with infineon, not only did I get infineon I was also THE only one on the forum with it. Wouldnt even do 321 without artifracting. :(

Eventually got ****ed off and bought a 9800PRO. Did just fine and eventually moved it to my sisters rig. 3 days later running at stock it goes kaput. Never found out the cause. Bought another :-/

Went through 3 NF7s. First died out of nowhere 6hrs after first POST. 2nd died from a cold boot. #3 Worked great so long as you didnt use 2.8v on the vdimm. (that was the one that eventually broke 260 without mods)

2400+ AXP-M (SMPW). While other people were doing 2.6+ with this stepping mine wouldnt even break 2.4ghz @ 1.9v

Got a 6800GT. Fantastic card. Did 414 / 1210....until the hurricanes blew through. We had a power surge at the house and after that the card never posted artifract free again. Forced to get another 6800GT.

Got a Winchester....ironically also a stepping of SMPW like that **** 2400+M. Maxed out at the same exact ****ING speed which made it worse. Max was 2412 @ 1.56v. Other guys on XS like before were getting 2.7ghz on the same stepping as mine.

In addition my K8N neo2 constantally froze at stock no matter what I did. Thought it was a PSU issue...nope $150 down the drain.

Thought it was the motherboard and so I got an AV8. It wouldnt run above 218 no matter what I did. Sure it ran fine asynch past that but no matter what RAM i used, anything higher than 218 would instantally BSOD.

Gave up on the AV8 and in a last ditch despiration I put the K8N back in....nothing. It was 100% dead and wouldnt go past DRAM detection on any slot. Gave up and dropped more money and went Intel.

Everything works great on my Intel rig...cept for one thing. My AS8. Half of its dimm slots. Slots 1+3 are dead. Anything in them even at stock produces errors in memtest

Recentally jumped on the 6800U deal. Got a card for myself and d94. The short moments that I thought I had gotten a semi-decent card were crushed. On load or shortly thereafter. 436 / 1120 turned into 426 / 1110. On top of that after an hour or so of use it would artifract at stock. :-/

d94 got his card the day before last. His wound up doing 472 / 1250. Naturally it was the OTHER box that had the good card in it. (the one i didnt choose).

_________

.... So in short. If you feel constantally shafted by the o/cing gods, you arent alone :cry: It brings a whole new meaning to "the truth is stranger than fiction". People often ask me how I got so good at troubleshooting bad parts....now you know why :-/

Last edited:
It happens to the best of us, Sen :(... Sry. My ti4600 stopped turning on over a year ago. I paid $365 for it a few years ago, and I didn't even have it for two years when it STOPPED working. Remember also when I bought a BFG 6800GT OC that comes 370 stock? Even with my NV5 Silencer it would only hit 395... that's definitely not as bad as your PNY, but still.

What about the Buffalo PC4200 2x512 ram I got for like 300 about a year ago. That thing barely did 230fsb with cpc off!! Also, remember my first winnie? It wouldn't do past 2.0ghz even with 1.61v. That's why I got a 2nd one. Also, I went through FIVE 2500 bartons until I found one that can do 200x11!!!

I can't believe someone stole your ram, though. Was that on the dorms or something?

Shoot... g2g... big fight at the job.

I thought I had bad luck lately... killed a IQYHA 2600M, blew my car up, had a huge fight with my girlfriend, and erased a hard drive accidentally.

You have my condolences... ;)

I feel cursed in that I can never get 100% out of my hardware, ever.

My 6800nu? Won't mod to 16x6 pipes.

My 1 GB TCCD sticks won't go past 248 fsb (thanks, Abit AV8).

My 3000+ winchester overclocks without any voltage increases...now, this sounds great, but I bought an XP-120 to go along with it so that I can do some serious overclocking. What a waste, as the stock cooler would have done fine. Does 2.4 ghz, but I have to run it at 2.3 since the AGP lock craps out after 255 fsb (thanks, Abit AV8).

My motherboard, an Abit AV8. Well, this is the worst motherboard on the face of the Earth. I know there are motherboards that won't overclock at all, but this is the only motherboard that craps out just before you're able to get a decent overclock. It's like suddenly stopping during sex while you're about to orgasm...it's worse than no sex at all. Honestly, most motherboards that overclock like crap do so quietly. Take ECS for example, everyone knows they suck. Hard. But they don't go around advertising that their motherboards are the godsend of overclockers. Seriously, if I ever meet the guy who designed this board, I will kill him. I'm not lying...if you feel the need to report me to the authorities, do so now before I kill him. I know it seems irrational to kill someone for designing a faulty motherboard, but I'll do it...I'm insane. If I ever meet him, that is. I'm sure most people will kill Hitler if they saw him, so that's my justification.

Wow... that sex/orgasm analogy is godlike.

KILL THE B@ST@RD!!! I'll be your getaway car. What is it 40 years jailtime for a getaway car? I can live with that.

mantralord said:
this is the worst motherboard on the face of the Earth. I know there are motherboards that won't overclock at all, but this is the only motherboard that craps out just before you're able to get a decent overclock.
Yes I second that. I had it all of 3 days before I trashed it.

____

Just giving people persective. We all have our dry-spells :D

I had mine for years until I got my ti 4200 last year. Took me three damn weeks t add a volcano 11 to it and overclock the hell out of it and flash the bios. It was an oem of all things so off the bat I thought it was ****ty. 250core/350ram stock. Overclocked though to 350core/ 550 ram so I got lucky. I decided to stop modding and doing heavy overclocking after that. I thought it might be all down hill form their. The card still sits in my computer and I havnt had a dead compnent for over 8 months. My streak is growing finally!!

Good lord Sen, that's one hell of a list you got there.
And here I though I had bad luck when I found the fan on my MSI Ti4200 had fallen off.
Don't know how long it was running for (might've been a few days,) but those plastic retention posts that MSI uses are complete crap. Not curse worthy, but still crap none-the-less ;)

Well, yesterday I dropped my new palm tungstin I got last week, It Hit the table, bounced off, and landed on the tile floor in my cafeteria at school, now There is vertical lines on the screen :cry: :cry: :cry: .........god, i hate my life

edit: for grammer

ManOman said:
Good lord Sen, that's one hell of a list you got there.
Yea I know....but to be honest. Its like a game between me and god. I only manage to out-smart him AND death by the skin of my teeth..... daily lol. But hey, without strife , life would be boreing as hell :D

Sometimes I just gotta laugh at my misfortune cuz its so predictable. :)

Ebola said:
Every day I go to work.

I go to work as well almost every day + 18 credits of college work + parents are in the middle of getting divorced. But hey, gotta laugh at tragedy, otherwise it'll drive you insane :)

I have to say I have had alittles bad luck with my 2400 mobile which takes about 1.625v to do 2.2ghz completely stable, 1.75v to do 2.3ghz compleltly stable and take like 1.9v to even boot into windows at 2.4ghz. Other than that on the first of the month I go to get my paycheck and becuase I had left my time card on my bosses desk he didn't see it and so I didn't get a paycheck this month. But hey atleast next month i'll get a big paycheck so new parts here I come.

Hug(640).jpg

I think Sen just needs a hug.

really dude, just think of everything you learned from this. Like all the do's and dont's (mostly Dont's) of OC'ing

check this out. it isnt computer related but yeah i have a minor curse.
our fridge went borked twice and we had to pay a ****load in order to fix it.
our oven/stove's computer thingy went to heck and we had to buy it a new one and every time we use it and steam builds up inside the main power switch thing goes down and we have to wait for the steam to clear before we can turn it back on.
this morning our water heater thing went berzoinks and we need to get somebody to fix it. (good thing we have 4 showers and 2 other working heaters or else we would be taking cold showers).
ummm my dads work computer's (pII) hdd died with all of his important info on it and we couldnt recover it. (i told him to back up!!!)
the printers head sucks and we have to make the printer clean it all the time.
a couple more that i cant remember right now so your'e not alone.

Back