• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ed's Xbox2 and Frodo Article

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SemiCycle

If there are 2 thinks that have keep me interested in "breaking" computer based news on the internet, they would be the inquirer.net and Ed Stroligo's articles. I'm sure many others that've been following internet based computer news for the past 9 years would say the same. Motherboard, video card and cpu review just don't do it for me anymore. A witty author with an opinion is a much better read!!!
In regards to your most recent article however, I believe you missed the mark. BIGTIME. I'm not directly opposing anything you said in the article, but instead I'm comparing it to some of your other recent articles. (Cell and HDTV)
If there is one thing you've done farily well, it's draw a line between the hardcore computer user and the Joe Sixpack. We know there are alot more Joe Sixpacks then geeks in the world. Microsoft obviously knows this aswell, because with the XBOX2, they are targeting their initally marketing efforts directly to their core market. MTV viewers. 14-30 year olds. Their choir, their Core.
You can't have it both ways. You can't write one article about Cell vs PC stating how Cell can give the PCdom a fight of it's life because it has the potential to attract Joe Sixpacks, then turn around and hammer Microsoft for doing just that.
I'm no Microsoft fan, but it only makes since for them to do this. Why go spec crazy when almost everyone using the device won't care what type of CPU or GPU it has. They do however care about what MTV and their favorite celebrity has to say.
Is it underhanded? Yes? Will it be an absolute laugh for the technically minded? You know it. Does it have the potential to have the Joe Sixpacks talking about it for the next 3-6 months. YES, and that is what they want.

Just my 2 cents.

Keep up the good work and thanks for all the good reading over the past couple years.

-Julian

In my opinion this presentation will work. People, who should know about it, already know and anticipate the day they'll see XBOX2. MTV is just a great way to show it "live" and make millions see it. Guys who got this idea don't seem to be stupid. Maybe Frodo isn't that charismatic, but he's got chosen for some purpose.

Back