• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

change memory speed ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In the Cell Menu you will find DRAM Configuration as the first item listed. Enter there and your first option is Max Memclock, enter and you will have the options of Auto, or the various dividers (100/133/166/200). Select the appropriate one, depending on your ram's capabilities (with 200 being 1:1). Come back out to the Cell Menu and now you can change your HT Frequency, your CPU Ratio and your CPU FSB Frequency to the desired speeds, with your memory speed being adjusted according to the divider you selected.

Does that answer your question or did I go off on a tangent?

i should be able to figure it out , with my memory it comes at 3-3-3-8 , you think that 2-2-2-7 would be a nicely pushed memory. Pushing my CPU at stock 2.0 to 2.4 i start to get errors i was thinking maybe cause memory is so slow. I have a lot of cooling thats not it.

this is what i have Corsair
TWINX1024-3200C2 1GB DDR400 XMS3200 Dual-Channel Memory w/Heat Spreader . when i use CPU-z it says 3-3-3-8. Wanted to know how i could bump that up a bit.

Which revision of that ram? That should be on the sticks, following the "C2" part. On their forum, their is a section where Ram Guy identifies which chips are used by which revision. The chip information is helpful because ICs have traits, such as ability to run at tight timings or to scale with voltage. Knowing which ICs are used helps in tweaking the ram, otherwise you have to try everthing, as opposed to eliminating things that you know do not work with those specific ICs. And in the end, some ram simply won't run 2-2-2-7, unless maybe you downclock from PC3200 to PC2700 or PC2100 speeds.

Before you proceed with tweaking the memory...if you don't alread have a copy of Memtest86, download one to use in testing the changes to the memory timings. You should be able to pass memtest after each of these changes before you ever go into Windows or you run the risk of H/D data corruption. There are several other threads on Memtest use if you need info on it.

In the DRAM Configuration screen, below the Max Memclock option is where you change the rest of the memory timings. I presume when you say "bump that up a bit" you mean lower the timings? You will simply have to test your sticks, by changing the timings one at a time and testing as you increase the cpu speed. That first link I gave you included a link (which I've copied below) to a guide on overclocking the A64. You have to play with both, the memory timings and the cpu overclock to get the best overall performance. Simply dropping timings from 3-3-3-8 to 2-2-2-7 will help your performance, but the increase will only be in the 2%-3% range, if that much. However, overclocking the entire system, including the memory speed, while running tighter timings will show big performance gains.

Here is that link again, plus another one from eva2000 at i4memory, both are good A64 overclocking guides. The one from eva is more detailed.

http://www.insanetek.com/index.php?page=overclocka64

http://i4memory.com/showthread.php?t=327

Back