• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memory is boring??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prankstar008

Is it just me, or is RAM the most boring part of a computer? It has no moving parts, and, with few exceptions, doesnt look all that nice. RAM always causes problems and is the largest overclocking bottleneck next to heat. Do you agree with me, or can you think of a more boring computer part.

Yea this thread is geeky

prankstar008 said:
Is it just me, or is RAM the most boring part of a computer? It has no moving parts, and, with few exceptions, doesnt look all that nice. RAM always causes problems and is the largest overclocking bottleneck next to heat. Do you agree with me, or can you think of a more boring computer part.

Yea this thread is geeky

Look at my rank! I am offended!!!!!

If you ask me, it is the most exciting part! There are numerous types to choose from, ranging form raw speed to quick timings. There are many many many different manufacturers to choose from while there is only two CPU manufacturers. It is relatively cheap to swap and try new combinations.

Granted, there are no moving parts, but why does that matter? There is no moving parts in a CPU! Also, it is NOT always the bottleneck, and it is not always the problem.

Basically, I am in stark disagreement with you, but I am doing it in a nice manner. :)

-Collin-

I agree with Ninja. I think (for me) ram is the most fun thing to mess around with and tweak.

I think memory overclocking is one of the most interesting forms of overclocking. Memory has many tweeks and settings that a CPU just doesn't posess. I will agree, though, that overclocking the memory, and everything necessary that goes along with it (chipset, memory controller, FSB, ect) makes it one of the biggest PITAs to overclock. That is what makes it a challenge though. ;)

Sentential said:
Most borening part has to be the lowely CD rom drive. It does nothing but spin and you cant even overclock it.

Aaah mate,
You had to bring that up didn't you. Don't diss the CD-ROM! The guy can be OC'ed too :D

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=60158

Prankster:
Just because it doesn't move and looks plain doesn't mean its fun. Going by that, my case fan with 3 LED's would be the most fun to OC! :D

I like memory too; I think that the little heat spreaders look cool. And I too think its the funnest thing to overclock

but I do agree with you; its the largest bottleneck, its one of the more expensive parts (or has ben until a few months ago) and its a huge bottle neck.

Look at my rank! I am offended!!!!!

If you ask me, it is the most exciting part! There are numerous types to choose from, ranging form raw speed to quick timings. There are many many many different manufacturers to choose from while there is only two CPU manufacturers. It is relatively cheap to swap and try new combinations.

Granted, there are no moving parts, but why does that matter? There is no moving parts in a CPU! Also, it is NOT always the bottleneck, and it is not always the problem.

Basically, I am in stark disagreement with you, but I am doing it in a nice manner.

-Collin-
you did make some good points....but the biggest one that I didnt consider was memory is the seccond easiest thing to overclock...and thats what were all about....I still find it boring tho...say the word "RAM" a few times...

but I do agree with you; its the largest bottleneck, its one of the more expensive parts (or has ben until a few months ago) and its a huge bottle neck.
this is also true...the only thing in my rig more expensive than 2x256 MB of corsair xms was my 9800 pro...

Ram is so much more bling bling than a CPU.

I love my ram, cuase it rules oh yes and its BH-6 so I can whip ot with a 3.3v stick and not kill it. Personally I think HDs are the most boring thing. Think about WD Raptor 10,000rpm SATA 74gb. the only cool thing is 10000rpm and it still slower than ram.

ram is awesome, but can be frustrating. imagine being stuck at 2.36ghz cause your ram wont budge a mhz higher. thats frustrating. but as far as the most boring part of a computer. id hafta say that the award goes to floppy drive, if you have one. i have had mine since day one, ya wanna know how many times ive used it? ZERO! i dont even know if it works.

Out of my entire computer, i think i hate the ram the most. Its mainly because its really the only part of the computer that i don't understand 100%. Expecially with this DFI board it makes it so much more confusing and harder to learn lol.

One day i need to find a real good website that breaks down what each setting does and test myself!

Back