• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory temps when OC (Kingston HyperX)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Klimpen

I see a lot of people talking about the temps of their memory modules but I don't see the numbers.
I need numbers...

I have two sets of 2x512 Kingston HyperX DDR500 Dual Paired.
That equals a full motherboard and very little space in between the modules since they have heatspreaders on.
I have measured the temp to 57 degrees C with a laser temp reader.
I don't know how exact that is but when I touch the memory with the top side of my finger (the "hairy side" :) ) I have to remove the finger almost instantly.
I can keep the finger there if I prepare for it but if I just touch it the brain says "REMOVE NOW" :)
I think that is kinda hot and now I wonder what you think about it and what temps all you get on your mem's.
I have a watercooled setup and no fans at all in the case so the air is absolutely still when the sides are on.

Feed me your readouts or thoughts in this matter.

Ohh I almost forgot, Do anyone know of a watercooler that fits four memories like my setup?

Well.....what voltage are you giving that stuff?

My HyperX PC4000 barely gets warm, but I don't go above 2.8. (my OCZ stuff gets warmer than the hyperX)

It really depends how much volts you put into it. Attack a fan blowing down on it. :D keeping it nice and cool.

Watercooling is WAY overkilling it with RAM. I have a 70mm fan blowing on mine and by the touch it isn't even warm, its acually pretty cool. That's with 3.4-3.5v's going through it.... maybe when ram needs 5v's to run then H20 might be needed lol.

I feed them with anything from stock 2.6v to my motherboards max which is 3.0v.
It is a noticeable difference in temps when running 2.6 as I am right now and the 3.0 I'm running when OC. Now a can put my finger on them and wait for it to get hot, but I feel that I have to remove my finger after 5 seconds. When hard OC I remove the finger instantly.
My mem's ar by far the top hottest item in the PC case.
CPU running 30C, GPU at 30C and shipset at 38C. The two harddrives is a raptor and Seagate running at 32C and 37C...
and then we have the winner, the Kingston mem's passing the finishline with a strong 57C as top measured temp.
I hate fan's so I want to avoid that, and second of my interest in building a clean and nice looking rig prevents me from adding a fan :rolleyes:
So thats why the question about waterblock for the mem's.
The machine is stable as hell even with the hot mem's but it makes me worry a bit. And perhaps I can reach stable 260FSB with COOL memories.

Thanks for helping out here.

If they are stable and running hot. There shouldnt be anything to worry bout. But to give you a peice of mind. Add 2x80mm fan ontop of the modules. Now that should keep them running cool and maybe...maybe run them on less voltage as oppose to what you are currently running them with. :)

Back