• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you tell me ......Please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Welcome to the Forum!
Tell us more about your system by putting your rig in your signature. It's generally better to run ram in two slots on A64 systems due to the limits of the memory controller. Do you really need 2 gigs of ram?

Heres the thing...

Thank You for the large Welcome. I will put a sig together soon rseven. I'm waiting on the MOBO and ram. Sorry it's a socket A (can't afford the bleeding edge :shrug: ) and I'm going for the XP 2600M w/1gig (2x512meg) dual channel ram.Will be here tomorrow. I was wondering about the dual channel thing... The SY-KT880Dragon2V2.0 has 2 dual channel controllers.4 slots. (4 gig max) So I was thinking it may run better if I split 2 gig into smaller chunks and dispersed them into the 4 slots. I'm not shure if my thinking is right on the dual channel thing. I figure the bottleneck at the FSB will negate any performance from what I'm trying to accomplish. But that's why I'm here asking the pro's. :cool: As far as the 2gig I probably don't need it but I think the CPU will only be able to access 1 dual channel at a time. I could go on and on. One more thing... If I go for a 400MHz FSB chip (like the XP3200)
That would help, wouldn't it? Sorry for all the Questions but I gots ta know.
Thanks again,
Killa

Last edited:
Your original post said Kt880 so I figured A64. If we are talking socket A then 4x1gig will not be a good match with a NorthBridge memory controller. You'd be better off with 2x512 as it will provide enough ram plus the timings will be tighter. If you insist on 2 gigs then make it 2x1 gig. Congrats on your star. May you get many more.

It is a KT880

There I go with the type'os (damn sausage fingers). The Bord is a SY-KT880. VIA KT880/ 8237 chipset
What about the 400MHz XP3200 vs the 266MHz XP2600M? And what if I break down the 1 gig to 4 256meg? Better performance? Too many questions???
Thanks again,
Killa

Kill_A._Byte said:
There I go with the type'os (damn sausage fingers). The Bord is a SY-KT880. VIA KT880/ 8237 chipset
What about the 400MHz XP3200 vs the 266MHz XP2600M? And what if I break down the 1 gig to 4 256meg? Better performance? Too many questions???
Thanks again,
Killa
I thought the Via KT880 was an A64 chipset not an XP chipset, but I just checked it out and there is an XP version. This is a whole new ballgame. Thay have a different memory controller which is good for 8 gigs! Warning! I have no experience or knowlege of these boards. I do know that you can get faster timings from 512 sticks of ram as opposed to 1 gig. However, there may other issues with this board of which I am not aware. Either way, you are probably better off with a mobile over a 3200 CPU.
I'm sure you've heard this before, but this is a lot of money to sink in an XP system at this point in time. The "bleeding edge" as you put it is not much more than what you are spending. An Epox 939 board and a Winnie cpu can be had for less than $250. That's not exactly a budget hemorage.
Lastly, ask as many questions as you like. That's what this forum is here for. Good luck.

No controll!!

Thanks rseven,
I apreciate where your coming from with the A64 setup, but I want to wait till its out for a little while longer, or till thety upgrade the OS to take advantage of 64 tech. Besides If I get started with an A64 setup I wouldn't be able to controll my spending (some of those lanparty bords are wild). I have a XP2400 Thoroughbred and I have that KT880 board with 1 gig of PDP dual channel (512x2) low latancy ram (be here any minute) on the way. I also have the Ultra 500w modular PS and a ATI Radon 9200. I spent about $220.00for the new stuff, I might go for the XP2600M but thats what I have to work with :shrug: It should do for now untill I get a better handle on this OC thing. (OverClocking :shrug: Obsessive Compulsive You decide :eh?: )
Thanks again,
Killa

Last edited:
You are quite welcome. Sorry, I hope I wasn't to pushy about A64's. I know what a budget is and when I ignore it I get in trouble. If you already have an XP 2400 you may not want to spend the extra on a mobile. Yes, the mobile does OC better, but you can learn and experiment on a 2400 just fine. In fact, that's the cpu that I did much of my learning on. Just to let you know that overclocking an XP system is very different from an A64 system and only some of the skills are transferable. When you finally move to A64, assuming that you do eventually, you will need to learn some new OC tricks. The upside as I see it is that learning and experimenting with overclocking is a lot of fun. It's a big kick to to get a nice solid overclock and to know that your own skills did it. Good luck and happy overclocking.

I Have the MOBO now what???

O.K. I have the SY-KT880Dragon2V2.0 and it has an AMI BIOS. How do I translate the ram timings? I have 1gig of PDP Dual channel ram (512x2) Part#PDC1G3200LLK PC3200 2-3-2-5-1T . In the BIOS there are all different settings than shown at how to set up mem in BIOS at Patriot web site. I have Si Sandra telling me I have the RAM set up to 2.0-2-3-6 1CMD. I set the speed down to 2x134MHZ match the FSB speed which I read to do in the stickey up there. But that 6 I can't get down to 5 because it only goes down to 6. Will the timings I have work? Or should they be changed because of the different speed (268MHZ)? Or am I way off :eh?:
I am just trying to get things right before I try to OC. Because of the data corruption I caused trying to OC the K7 board.
I have all the other settings in the BIOS set to BY Speed or Auto except for the RAM which I set to Manual.
Killa
P.S. I'm using the XP2400 Thoroughbred core 130nm 1.5-2.5GHZ+ [email protected] stock BIOS settings 15x1 multi 1.63V. temp is 33C as I type this.(from Si Sandra)

Last edited:
That Thoroughbred changes things a little. I was reading this just assuming your chip was a Barton core.

FYI, if you buy a chip with a Barton core, be it a mobile one or a regular one, all of them should run with a FSB of 200Mhz and beyond easily. They all have the same cores ... they've just been binned at different speeds and had their multipliers locked (except for the really old bartons, and the Mobiles, which is why the mobile chips became so popular).

And that last number in your ram timings isn't a problem ... you may want to fiddle around with it and find out what runs best on your system. On nForce2 boards (like the Abit and Asus Socket A's), they seem to run the most stable with that last timing set at 11 instead of 5 or 6. You have a Via chipset, which I'm not familiar with, so I don't know what generally works best. You should be fine at 6, however.

My TBred went up to 175MHz. Yes, I Barton will go higher. Even if you set the timings for where you are now you'll still need to adjust them as you overclock. Timings of 2-3-3-6 with 1t command should take you a long way, maybe even as high as the cpu can go. Good luck.

O.K. After all that..

Well I had to get a new copy of XP Pro but I have my rig up.
I got these numbers off of CPU-Z here's what's happening;
2400XP [email protected] MHz 1.632V
Multi x15.0
[email protected] Mhz
Bus speed 309.3 MHz
Ram Timings
Freq 188.0 MHz
FSB: DRAM FSB+33 MHz
CAS# 2.0
RAS# to CAS# Delay 3
RAS Precharg 2
TRAS 6
Air cooled temp 39C while typing this and running disk defrag.
How'd I do?
Still need to do full torture tests but there it is. I had it up to 2.33GHz but Windows wouldn't start.
Killa :p

Thanks,
I was beginning to think I was being ignored for too many posts. I'm tryin to get an avitar up.
I've run Super Pi thru the 2meg setting. But not for 24 hrs. So far it hasn't given me any trouble. I can't get any higher on the fsb without it wiggin out.
I tried to raise the voltage but no good. I think thats where I'm topping out.
Killa

Kill_A._Byte said:
I was beginning to think I was being ignored for too many posts.
No, that only happens to Sentential and 9mmCensor.

I would say that you are at the top of your chip. But you have an excellent OC to be proud of. Try raising your mem voltage.

Back