• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram timings...(2225 vs 2226)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Falkentyne

Well, Tras (the "5" or "6" timing, here, also called RAS pulse width (ROW ACCESS STROBE pulse width), by simple logic, -has- to be, at lowest, cas latency time + cas to ras delay, since Tras, in laymans terms is the latency of how long a bank is actually available for reading (like opening a book)--(not how long it takes data to be retrieved)
But there has to be at least 2 more clock delays added, because with DDR, eight consecutive quadwords are output (by the controller) on every access. (with regular SDRAM, 4 consecutive quadwords), so while EDO Ram has single word data transfers (thus 2-2-2-4 would be just fine, if such a timing were available back then), SDRAM naturally needs 2-2-2-5 with its 4 quadwords. And since DDR is double data rate (and thus 8 quadwords instead of 4), you need an extra delay=2-2-2-6 timings, under ideal situations.

This information was taken from mushkin's webpage.

They claim: running RAM at 2-2-2-5 increases the chances of a truncated transfer (the bank is suddenly closed), that needs to be repeated--thus, a performance penalty is applied (and there is a risk of data corruption as well, if the data is written to a hard disk cache at system shutdown, before the transfer is repeated).

A similar thing for running at 3-3-3-6 (obviously, this is actually worse than 2-2-2-5)--you should run at 3-3-3-8.

But this still begs the question: what about 3-4-4-8? (since 3-4-4-9, apparently ideal, isn't attainable, at least not on any intel chipset).

The easiest way to find out what works best is to benchmark it. Many times you'll find that you'll get results you don't expect like a Tras of 11 being the fastest on nForce2s. Also it can be different from system to system.

On that note, I ran a comparison of 2-2-2-5 and 2-2-2-8. For some STRANGE reason, I scored 300 3d marks higher. It is a matter of testing and seeing what is fastest.

-Collin-

NinjaZX6R said:
On that note, I ran a comparison of 2-2-2-5 and 2-2-2-8. For some STRANGE reason, I scored 300 3d marks higher. It is a matter of testing and seeing what is fastest.

-Collin-

The reason you scored higher is explained in the post above :) 2-2-2-5 is "closing" the bank before the destructive read operation is finished (and contents are written back), so the memory controller has to keep retrying those operations.

At 2-2-2-8, you have enough clock delays to keep the bank open without having retries. That was exactly the point I was referring to.

It's sort of like a pentium CPU suffering a penalty from a "Cache miss".

And never forget what can happen if the computer is shut down, and data (that is incorrect due to banks being closed too soon) is writen to disk, before there are any retries to get the bank data read......boom: corruption.
This may not be a very big deal unless a shutdown occurs quickly...

I might do a test myself, I'm bored anyway :)

Back