• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

problem with RAM upgrade (compability)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fuzz69

i have a hp compaq business (nx9010) notebook with one 256MB PC2700/333mhz ram. i bought recently another ram but it is 256MB PC2100/266mhz, so thats why i dont want to install it yet.

i want to know if it is possible to run both and if my system will have a better performance or if my system will get unstable, or even worst than actually is with 1 ram.

Your system will slow down to the speed of the slower ram you just purchased. It will benefit from a greater amount of ram, but some of this benefit will be negated by it running at a slower speed(266mhz). Assuming it's the correct ram, other than the slower speed, it should be stable. Good luck.

^that is so. Now one time I had the same scenario, and what I did was manually specify (in the bios) that I wanted the ram to run @ 166. In my case, it worked, which meant I was basically overclocking my stick of 133 to 166. You may not be able to do that though, considering you are doing this on a notebook. Your BIOS probably will not let you do that. However, IMO it would be better to use it anyway because 256mb ram is surely causing some drive thrashing for page files. The jump to 512 should help in an overall picture, even gaming. :)

By the way WELCOME TO OC FORUMS!

can you return it ??

if not than throw it in and tell us what you think.. i say you will like it better. whether you take a performance hit will depend on whats running..

Back