• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mushkin Promo can't boot after clear CMOS !!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nJIAH0kyp

Mushkin Promo on DFI NF3 can't boot 'ONLY' after clear CMOS

Mushkin Promo 512MB (BH-5) on DFI NF3 250GB allways can't post\boot after clearing CMOS with jamper !!! Without cord power cable , without battary for long time nothing not helps -- my system not boot with this RAM modules .
I am reaplacing Mushkin with other module (Kingston 256MB^C3) my system is boot to BIOS without any problem , i'm must to load default/optimazed settings . After restart the system and replacing the memory modules ... i have the 24/7 stability system on PRIME95 , MemTest86 ... with Mushkin memory .
System for test only stock aircooling :
-NewCastle CG x10 @ 2300MHz
-Mushkin Promo DDR400 SPD 2-2-2-6 (BH-5) @ DDR460 2.0-2-2-10 (3.1v)
-Sapphire R350 128MB 256bit @ ?
-ENERMAX EG651P-VE 550W @ ?
After couple days of running stress test without any problem ... i'm want to get more and more ... and my system can't start after Clear CMOS .
The same DFI NF3 don't have this trouble .

The MB and CPU i'm buy before couple days .
Memory modules from some friend .
What is the trouble with this Mushkin memory ? Mayby CPU (not tested) ?

P.S. Sorry for my English ... I'm so nervous , first bugs ...

Last edited:
Welcome to the Madness that we all call "having fun".

I may not have quite understood, but it seems to me that the culprit may be in the SPD timings. It is commonly known that Winbond BH-5 ram does not generally boot at CAS 3. Can you check the SPD timings in CPU-Z to see if the ram was programmed incorrectly and possibly shows an SPD of CAS 3? If so, you may need to send it back to Mushkin to have it (SPD) reprogrammed.

Though I've never had this problem on my DFI, I do on my AI7. After clearing CMOS, I have to install a stick of memory other than BH5. Then raise vdimm, manually set timings and change back to BH5s. So vdimm might also be an issue.

Reefa_Madness said:
Welcome to the Madness that we all call "having fun".
I may not have quite understood, but it seems to me that the culprit may be in the SPD timings. It is commonly known that Winbond BH-5 ram does not generally boot at CAS 3. Can you check the SPD timings in CPU-Z to see if the ram was programmed incorrectly and possibly shows an SPD of CAS 3? If so, you may need to send it back to Mushkin to have it (SPD) reprogrammed.
Default BIOS settings 2-3-2-6 (2.6v) system running 10 loops in MemTest86+ v1.55 , but in test PRIME95/blend have error after ~30min.
Cpu-Z in SPD is 2-2-2-6 ... I'm think it for Intel platform and AMD using 2-3-2-3-6 by default (from mushkin.com) .
@ DDR400 2-2-2-5 (2.8v) have 24\7 absolute stability in "all" test and benchmarks .
@ DDR400 1.5-2-2-5 (3.1v) have 24\7 absolute stability in "all" test and benchmarks .
@ DDR440 2-2-2-10 (3.1v) have 24\7 absolute stability in "all" test and benchmarks .
@1,5-2-2-3 (?.?) system boot , but tests doesn't run . It possible I'm think ...
-CL3 , system can't boot with this memory , this was first time than I'm used the Clear CMOS jumper and first has seen the "black screen" , MoBo does not error beep, fans turn on , leds lighting ...
I have an opportunity to reprogrammed the SPD , but IMHO it not their problem.
KrisMCool said:
Though I've never had this problem on my DFI, I do on my AI7. After clearing CMOS, I have to install a stick of memory other than BH5. Then raise vdimm, manually set timings and change back to BH5s.
I'm do the same thing , but i'm raising vdimm and setting timings after I'm return the BH-5 stick and replace the "other" stick . I need the "other" memory stick only for log in BIOS and load the default settings .
You have solved a problem on AI7?
So vdimm might also be an issue.
How it might be ? I must 'mod' BIOS and set other timings and voltages ?

P.S. I can to change this 512MB Mushkin to 2x512MB Twinmos DDR433 BH-5 (+7% price+2 heatspreaders ) ?
Thank a lot for your help and support. :)

Back