• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should i get TCCD or new Winbound UTT BH

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

f1re

Registered
I currently am looking to buy the Corsair TWINX (2x512) PC3200 C2 ram. I also have two choices. Eitehr to get the TCCD one or the "new" winbound UTT Bh5.

I dont know which to get, can someone plz outlike the differences and such? My mobo will only let vdimm get up to 3.3v. I am hoping to get at least 250mhz at 1:1 with my o/c CPU. My system temp is 29'c if that helps (if ram needs extra cooling?)

What are TCCD capable of doing at what timings? And what are the new Winboudn UTT Bh5 capable of doing? I know they love high voltages but why is this winbound so popular now? They needs lots of voltages...but the TCCD takes less and gets higher MHZ doesnt it?

Thnks in advance,
fire

EDIT: I have a Intel system (P4 2.8) so do timings matter on intels? or was it on AMD that they dont matter..?

well i cant go past 3.3 If i go for TCCD, what "potiential" am i wasting? I dont get what u mean..

tccd can run 1:1 up to like 316 mhz, give or take, running it at 250 would be like bottlenecking it. theres nothing wrong with that, but i try to get everything to run to its highest levels. and tccd is better on amd's. and on intels. its bandwidth over timings, so tccd is the choice.

BH-5 likes voltages. TCCD is fine at 2.8 or 2.7volts. I currently have some OCZ Platnium Revision 2 TCCD ram and they are garunteed timings at 2-2-2-5 @DDR400. They also are under lifetime warrenty at 2.8volts. I have heard TCCD doesn't preform as good on a Intel system as it does on AMD but that could all be rumor. This is a listings of RAM and what chips it uses.This is a listing of what RAM contains TCCD.

TCCD can genrally get up past 300fsb with a solid psu and a good mobo.

OCZ " Value VX " PC-3200 Value with winbond UTT - ( should be priced around 130-140 USD )

This product is only tested for the value specification , but uses winbond utt, a very high percentage will do 220-240 with the right voltage , with I would guess half overall do above 240 ( 2-2-2 ). A small percentage will do 2-2-2 at 2.85-2.9 volts ( these are lucky sticks , not the norm )
if your trying to squeeze a few extra Mhz try 2-3-2

DIMMS Found With UTT
-----------------------
(*) Twinmos SpeedPremium (04464 production week,a 4 at the end help too)
(*) Twinmos\Twinmos Twinmos\Mtec chips (cheap ones) (04514 ,same as above)

Make sure if you can take a look at the chips of the RAM that there are
---------------------------------------------------------------------
(*) Two Dots marking
(*) Metal Dots (two in each side!)
(*) AA4T (not AADT)
(*) week 0xxx4 (the ending 4 is winbond chips)

In the end, iw ould suggest going with UTT. I feel you have a better chance with that then with TCCD on a Intel rig.

I dont get what u mean. UTT stuggles to get past 260MHZ and on high killing voltages...while TCCD gets up to 300mhz on low voltages....so what r u saying? so far i am leaning on TCCD.

Because TCCD does not allways play nice on Intel systems. Thus I think UTT/or BH-5 would be your best bet. Plus He has 3.3 at his dispoable, so I recomend the UTT/BH-5/VX value

How bad are they on intel? also if i go for winbound, ill hav to get the new UTT BH5 chips..will 3.3 (my maax on mobo) bring this baby to atleast 250mhz? also will this much voltage shorten its life? going past 2.9 voids crosair warentee..but how do they know if i went past 2.9v?

well, youll be fine with your ram at 3.0+'vs if you rig a fan blowing cold air over it. that will keep you in check. and they cant really check, unless the circutry gets fried from high temps. utt should get to 250 at 3.3v's but its not guarenteed.

You will supply enough voltage to get them to your hearts desire. Also, it is "Winbond" not "Winbound". But i think UTT would suit you far better.

thnkyou guys :D before this i was gunan get TCCD- casue if its higher o/c. but winBOND is better, tigher timings and yeah

CCUA, he shouldn't get VX, he can't supply the volts...i am interested in what he has chosen though.

Either way (Intel or A64)...the UTT is a better choice right now...

I have ran both now and will take the 15 HT less running tighter timings with these UTT's over the looser TCCD timings...

Running UTT at 2-2-2 between 250 - 260 equals that of TCCD at around 300 HTT with 3-3-2.5 timings

Ive chosen the Corsair PC3200 TWINX C2, rev 1.5 with enw winbond BH5. I currently have P4 2.8 capable of o/c to 3.5....so i dont think i will swap to amd64 till the end of this year. yeah i wanna try amd, good for gaming i hear. why does TCCD =good for AMD?

it can run 1:1 up to around ddr630 on a a64, and most older winnies could hit like 315 on the htt. but as of late, the better choice for a64 has been utt, but just wait until Newark for 754 comes out.

If they are planning on upgrading to a A64 next year...doesnt matter what they get this year then since the new A64's will be a new socket set and will be running DDR2...also the new A64's will be dual core...so this should be make up some lost ground with the A64's in aspects other then gaming...

The main difference is...UTT/BH5 can run at 2-2-2 up to 250 and some of the newer UTT's can run up to 260+...this is where the killer voltage comment came from...to run at those settings most need to be ran at 3.6v+...to run that voltage on something other then a DFI NF4...you have to either buy the OCZ Booster or do a VTT/VDimm mod to the motherboard...and since most people do not want to do the mod and the booster will not work on all A64 MB's...TCCD comes into play since most can run at 300HTT+ with around 2.9v...

The downfall to running the TCCD is losser timings...which means lower memory latency bandwidth...the A64 unlike Intels thrive on low latency...so the lower the memory latency you can achieve the better the performance...this is where UTT has its advantage...since it can run at lower timings...it runs at lower latency...and since most of the newer A64's out right now will not do very high HTT OC's people are running dividers...and running a divider on TCCD kills its performance, but can still run UTT at low timings at either 1:1 or a divider...this is another reason why people that can support the high voltage run UTT/BH right now on A64's

Given my G. Skills ran at 5-2-2-2/230 at 3.3v...that is nothing compaired to running at 5-2-2-2 at 250 with the same voltage on my A64...much better then 250 at 5-3-4-2.5 with my old Skills...

glock19owner said:
Either way (Intel or A64)...the UTT is a better choice right now...

I have ran both now and will take the 15 HT less running tighter timings with these UTT's over the looser TCCD timings...

Running UTT at 2-2-2 between 250 - 260 equals that of TCCD at around 300 HTT with 3-3-2.5 timings
You forget the fact that TCCD run at 2.7v though. That was what made me go for TCCD (they are on the way). I don't wanny pump 3.4v+ through my ram so i have to activecool it. I got a silent watercooled system that runs at high HTT.
TCCD can run 1:1 while being quite cool on low voltage.
I do know that they wont be faster than low latency UTT though.
They'll give me a safer feeling in my 24/7 system though.

Back