• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

about this ram... ocz plat, quik answer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nstabl

itchy5 said:
you should have just bought some OCZ 3200 plat rev2, that stuff scales up to 300+
is this true, is this the best i can do for my p4p800-e deluxe.. or is there better. thanks!!

nstabl said:
is this true, is this the best i can do for my p4p800-e deluxe.. or is there better. thanks!!

Not all Rev2's will go that high as far as i'm concern. If you get lucky, you can crank one maybe at 270 with Cas2.5-4-4-8. :santa:

It's TCCD, more suited for high MHz systems ie: AMD's with downward unlocked multi's. It is very good RAM, i don't know about "the best" though. I am running TCCD (G.skill) with my Intel system and it does well. You need to consider how far your chip is going to clock (FSB wise) and then buy the best memory based on that speed, that will also offer the lowest timings.

well i just want to know 'the best' i am ready to buy and my fsb is gonna be around 260-280.... ocing from 3.0 to around 4.1, so i think i need veerrry good ram..

Sucka said:
It's TCCD, more suited for high MHz systems ie: AMD's with downward unlocked multi's. It is very good RAM, i don't know about "the best" though. I am running TCCD (G.skill) with my Intel system and it does well. You need to consider how far your chip is going to clock (FSB wise) and then buy the best memory based on that speed, that will also offer the lowest timings.

Right on.

What is your FSB? It don't matter if the RAM can do 300 FSB if your CPU can only do 250 FSB. RAM that will run at really high speeds generally don't have tight timings.

nstabl said:
well i just want to know 'the best' i am ready to buy and my fsb is gonna be around 260-280.... ocing from 3.0 to around 4.1, so i think i need veerrry good ram..

That's a big difference right there between 260 and 280. You need to decide what you need the memory to do, and base it on that. Like BatBoy said, it doesn't matter if you buy PC-4800 if the CPU can't pull that FSB. Most PC-4000 memory will pull 260 at 2.5-3-3-7 with modest voltage.

Yes, PC-4000 will work with your board. Not to sound rude, but maybe you should research a little about memory before buying. I'm not sure you understand how it works based on this discussion. And also, you shouldn't assume your CPU is gonna do X.XGHz and buy off that. If you want to buy the "best" memory for your CPU, you should test what the max clock it will obtain first (using dividers), and base your purchase off those findings. Good luck.

I think I may this all down if you can tell me this is correct.... PC4000 is made pretty much for OCers.. because you normally will never have a 250 fsb with a stock system. same goes with pc4200, etc etc etc..... is this correct?????

this may help. this is a quote directly from OCZ

Q: What does EL mean?

A: EL stands for (E)nhanced (L)atency. Enhanced Latency memory modules are specifically designed to run at lower latencies than normally possible on most standard memory modules.

Q: What is ULN2 Technology?

A: ULN2 stands for (U)ltra (L)ow (N)oise. This is a technology that uses various printed circuit board (PCB) techniques to reduce the amount of electrical noise that is present in all high-speed ICs. This results in faster and more stable memory.

Q: What is HyperSpeed® Technology?

A: HyperSpeed® Technology denotes specific IC’s built and selected for their ability to run at the highest possible frequency. HyperSpeed® enabled modules contain firmware and are built on a printed circuit board (PCB) that is optimized for the highest possible frequency. Due to these optimizations, the module may not be able to be run at lower timings than those specified for that particular product.

Q: What is EVP®?

A: EVP stands for (E)xtended (V)oltage (P)rotection. This is a novel OCZ voltage protection feature that allows modules to handle higher voltages. OCZ EVP® protected modules can tolerate VDIMM voltages up to 3.0V ± 5%. All EVP® protected modules are covered under OCZ’s Lifetime Warranty if overvolted within EVP® tolerances.

Q: What is the difference between the Gold and Platinum Series?

A: The Gold series of memory modules are specially designed to be run at high frequencies using HyperSpeed® Technology. As a result of these high frequency optimizations, the memory may not be able to run at lower timing settings than specified in the specs for each product. Additionally, the Gold series is specifically designed to be used with Intel i865 and i875 chipset based motherboards. The Gold series can also work with AMD based motherboards, but you should check our Motherboard Qualification Guide for specific compatibilities. Finally, the Gold series comes with a copper heat spreader that has a reflective metallic gold finish.

The Platinum series of memory modules are designed to be run at very low timings on both Intel and AMD based motherboards. For a complete list of compatible motherboards please check our Motherboard Qualification Guide. Each Platinum Series module comes with a copper heat spreader that has a reflective metallic platinum finish.

Q: What distinguishes the Premier Series and how is it different from the other series?

A: The Premier Series is our value line of memory. This series offers great OCZ performance at a very reasonable price. These modules are designed with the mainstream user in mind, and so we recommend that enthusiasts look at the other lines we have available like the EL, Gold, or Platinum modules.

Q: What does Dual Channel Optimized mean? Is this the same as matched pairs?

A: Dual channel optimized means that we have qualified this kit of two modules to work well together in dual channel mode. We hand test the modules together in many different motherboards to ensure that they function properly together and are up to spec. Only when two modules pass our qualifications do they become packaged together as a kit of Dual Channel Optimized memory. This is the same as someone calling our kits a "matched pair" as the pair of modules has been validated to work together flawlessly; hence they are "matched."

nstabl said:
I think I may this all down if you can tell me this is correct.... PC4000 is made pretty much for OCers.. because you normally will never have a 250 fsb with a stock system. same goes with pc4200, etc etc etc..... is this correct?????

Yes, that is correct. You need to overclock in order to obtain the specs of PC-4000 and so on. That is why default FSB (or HTT for AMD) is 200 x 2 = 400, hence DDR400 (PC-3200). And just because it's called PC-4400 for example doesn't mean it won't work with your motherboard.

and the last and final question...... i will be AT 270fsb should i get 2x512 gold 4000 or 2x512 platinum 3200?? a lot of people are telling me the platinum, a couple of verifications and i can put in my purchase. thanks a lot guys

nstabl said:

Do you know what your CPU is capable of?

I strongly suggest, before spending big bucks on RAM, that you find out what your CPU can do. do you have any existing RAM? Can you run the existing stuff at a divider, to see just what the CPU can do in total mhz/FSB?
As long as you have any RAM in that build, you can run a large divider to find out what the CPU can do.

THEN, you go from there.

If you find that you can do 250 FSB max, why do you want PC4800, when PC4000 will do ? <--use your head, man.

When I built my first P4 system last year, I was doing a massive upgrade from a P3-S, so I didn't have the benefit of testing stuff; I simply grabbed the best stuff available (128mb 9800 Pro last March...256mb XT's were not worth the $200 premium over a Pro), a Lian Li case, a P4 3.4C, Sound blaster Audigy LS (cough!!! this was dumped for a real audigy ZS once I learned about what an LS really was), 200 GB HD, a DVD and a CDRW, and 1 GB of PC4000 kingmax. Now, I paid a premium for that Kingmax, when I couldn't even come close to 250 FSB (I couldn't go higher than 230 with any of the chips I've used), but at the time, I would have had no other way of knowing....

If I had prior testing or knowledge, I might have saved $100-$150 bucks...

But when I bought my 2x1GB of OCZ PC3200, I knew what my limits were, and was able to make a good choice to attain 223-225 FSB, though you pay a premium for good 1 GB dimms, but I no longer had to worry about wanting PC4000. (plus your choices are MUCH more limited when you want 2 GB of 1 gig dimms)...

Since you have the benefit of existing hardware that's compatible, you can make a more wise choice.

ok ordered 512 rev2 ocz pc4000, thank you guys VERY much for all the info, i learned everything about ram in 5 hours... :D

nstabl said:
and the last and final question...... i will be AT 270fsb should i get 2x512 gold 4000 or 2x512 platinum 3200?? a lot of people are telling me the platinum, a couple of verifications and i can put in my purchase. thanks a lot guys

Didn't see this reply before I posted my previous one;

If you will be at 270 FSB on a 1:1 ratio, then I would get the gold 4000, because you are assured of at least 250 FSB. I do not know much about the plats, but if they are the rev2 plats with TCCD chips, then they will USUALLY hit high FSB's, but will require voltage to do it. And I don't know if your board will go higher than 2.8v, or if it will be stable at higher than 2.8v. But you also need to go to ocz's webpage and check the voltage requirement for the gold 4000's; if they require 2.8v, you're good to go. If they require 3.2v to run at 250 FSB (PC4000), then you have to make a decision.

Based on this stuff, I would definitely get the PC4000 if the golds run at 2.8v or lower.

*Edit*, just got off the phone with Microsoft, to see that you ordered the 4000's. Good choice, IMO. Let us know how it goes.

Falkentyne said:
Didn't see this reply before I posted my previous one;

If you will be at 270 FSB on a 1:1 ratio, then I would get the gold 4000, because you are assured of at least 250 FSB. I do not know much about the plats, but if they are the rev2 plats with TCCD chips, then they will USUALLY hit high FSB's, but will require voltage to do it. And I don't know if your board will go higher than 2.8v, or if it will be stable at higher than 2.8v. But you also need to go to ocz's webpage and check the voltage requirement for the gold 4000's; if they require 2.8v, you're good to go. If they require 3.2v to run at 250 FSB (PC4000), then you have to make a decision.

Based on this stuff, I would definitely get the PC4000 if the golds run at 2.8v or lower.

*Edit*, just got off the phone with Microsoft, to see that you ordered the 4000's. Good choice, IMO. Let us know how it goes.

ill let you guys know thanks again, and yes, i learn fast haha :D

Back