• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wazza with UTT ???!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Senater_Cache

Hey all, I have been researching mem for a whil enow, but I have only been focusing on TCCD. I have no idea what the deal is with UTT these days.

imbuilding an A64 Venice with x10 multi on a DFi NF4 ultra-D with a nice PSU, so ill have the power (prob OCZ Powerstream 520 or Enermax 600W noisetaker)

Thing is, I have no idea about what UTT is a good buy, xcept the OCZ Gold VXs, not even sure of that exact model tbh.

im using this PC for school (graphic Design, illustrator etc.) so it has to work. Im looking for ~ 2.5-2.7 Ghz but the thing has to be stable or im screwed.
It will be on high end water.

so please help me out, I know you guys are gurus.
I dont need links, if you dont have them handy, dont bother.

just a couple of good UTTs that will get me to my goal stable.
product codes are best.
im looking for 1GB dual channel kits (2x512)

Is UTT the right stuff for me to be looking at? With content creation apps its al about ram bandwith.
I read somewhere that UTT will perform on par with much higher clocked TCCD.

please help me out guys, thanks

SenC.

While the UTT can really fly if you get good stuff, it can easily disappoint you as well unless you go with the binned stuff from OCZ or G.Skill.

There is a thread over at XS where both of these alternatives (TCCD vs bh/ch/VX) are discussed and debated. I don't think anyone has conceded anything. Its still being debated.

I don't really think that there is an answer. If you get good UTT, then its the best memory bargain on the planet, but there is a certain amount of risk that it won't be great. Most is decent, with 230-240 at 2-2-2-x being virtually assured...but that won't compete with high end TCCD from OCZ or G.Skill running 290 or 300 HTT. The only way to be assured of 250 or more is with the VX PC4000.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55318

That thread linked above is titled as follows (which pretty well sums it up):

Low latency, HIGH HTT, who wins??

The UTT contenders - List of RAM with Winbond UTT chips

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=59957

thanks alot for your reply Reefa
I am fearing the high HTT for TCCDs because of potential stability issues. Thats why i am looking at UTT, along with the better bandwith at lower clocks...
i guess what it boils down to is the more stable and reliable of either
a)TCCD at fair Vs but high HTT or
b)UTT at high Vs and fair HTT

im looking not neccesarily for top bench performance, but rather for best reliabilty / performance tradeoff over time (1-2yrs running OC'ed whenever the machine is on)

u know what I mean?

im leaning towards low HTT (UTT) speeds as that puts less stress on vital components (except of course the ram voltage)
am I misunderstanding this?

SenC.

seems fine to me. I run UTT to avoid straining the rest of my components. Got it running @275 on a 166 divider, at 3.3 volts running 2-2-2-8 and currently 8109 mbps bandwidth.

Back