• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM Timings and ValueRam (Worth it?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GerrFel

I beleive in the pay what you get for eddict. Now my question is this, for someone who games but on a budget, is ValueRam (be it Mushkin, OCZ, or Corsair) truely that bad? I don't know much about timing, CAS lat, and the likes. Does the timing on memory really matter if all I want is a smoother time in World of Warcraft or CS: Source? I don't plan on overclocking the RAM, and like I said, I'm on a budget. I've already got one 512MB stick of Corsair ValueRam, and I'm looking at adding a 2nd stick of 512MB Mushkin. For the mid range user, will RAM timings truely make a difference in my experience?

I'd suggest that if you do not plan to overclock it then go with the lowest timing valueRam you can find. I dunno if it is all the same or not.

If all the timings are tighter you're probably looking at an increase of about 2-3%. It's not really worth it to pay the extra money if you're not planning on overclocking. If you do want to overclock, you can get memory with tight timings then loosen them to get a really high FSB.
For some actual results of FSB vs Timings see this thread.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=377859

I got similar timing as TxAMD with my Athlon 64 with 1G of KVR. It's good memory as I've had systems running on valueram for years, it is a little slower. My HyperX modules are only a tick faster at standard speeds, though the KHXs do OC better. You can get the VRs for a cheap enough price that later if you want to do better, you can get some OC memory and stuff VR sticks in a drawer for later needs or backup.

Back