• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My RAM is Invisible???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mooreswhat

Hey,

I have a 256 MB stick of Kingston RAM in Slot#1 And it works great, I also have a Stick of 128 MB Kingston Ram in Slot#2, but it doesnt seem to be working.

Windows isnt identifying the 128 mb sitck, in dxdiag it says i only have 256 mb of RAM. But when I run CPU-Z it sees both of the sticks.

I have tried putting it in slot #3 but same thing.

Any ideas???

What motherboard are you using? Are you running in dual channel?

This is just speculation, but perhaps Windows is only showing the amount of ram it's actually able to use, while CPU-Z is detecing what is actually connected to your system. Generally, it's not the best idea to mix and match ram sticks of different sizes.

Hopefully someone will be able to give you a more specific answer, as I really couldn't tell you for sure.

Well, if one stick is 256 and one is 128 he probably doesn't have it in dual channel. Have you checked your BIOS to see if it is detected there? It would be helpfull if you could tell us your motherboard and what windows OS you are using also

if you have 3 or 4 slots, try moving the 128 into another slot..but i agree with PerlAddict HIGHLY!!! I had a kingston 512 and then a noname 256, my computer ran literally twice as fast with only the 512 in it. whether it was a speed difference or just size mismatch of the ram, i was 10 times happier with just my 512...

Back