• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Twinmos UTT SP failures

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JackCarver

Registered
Ive seen alot of reports of Twinmos SP/UTT sticks up and failing.

Wanted to relate something Ive noticed. I have one stick which does 250Mhz 1T on NForce2 which also occasionally DIES.

Yes, suddenly wont boot/post, I get beeeeep. Thinking it died I put it aside, next day I tested it in another machine and it was fine, put it back in main machine ran again for hours and upon a reboot .....beeeep. If i hadnt reboot'd it would have kept right on working, which sure doesnt seem like any kind of DDR chip problem to me.

Now turning power off, pulling it out, putting back in, etc doesnt work. it has to sit for hours unplugged before it comes back to life.

This got me thinking, what ELSE is on the stick besides the ram chips.....hmmmm.... the SPD rom!!

This stick does NOT have the issue at all at 3.2Vdimm or below. Only if I go to 3.3+-3.5 does it enter this flakeout mode.

I think that the SPD rom chip Twinmos is using cant always handle the high Vdimm we are subjecting these too, so SOME sticks end up with this "latchup" happening. Ill have to experiment with this SPD rom, Ill put a diode in the power pin so the rom runs at lower V then the Vdimm by about .7V, see if that keeps the error from occuring.

Just thought I'd pass it along. People with "DEAD" sticks might find they come back to life if you plug it into a lower voltage (3.2V or less) setup after a day on the bench.

hmm

Yes, _I_ am uwackme, for some reason that was reserved as a name here on OC. heh.

JackCarver said:
Yes, _I_ am uwackme, for some reason that was reserved as a name here on OC. heh.

That explains why I'm sitting here reading this and thinking to myself, either Jack is uwackme...or he is ripping off uwackme's post over at XS.

Just yesterday (or perhaps the day before) I linked your comments about the dying ram in another thread started by a member here that has one dead VX module. It is the one that was referenced above.

See that you've been visiting the classifieds. If I'm not mistaken you beat me to some ram that had interested me.

hmmm

Nope wasnt me, I havent bought anything other than from Newegg in a while.

Wonder when they will get Venice/Sandiego...grrr.

Back