• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Here We Go Again (AMD dual core introduction)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't think AMD has screwed up too badly with this one. This way they have a dual core in the desktop market, not so they can sell it, but so the average joe will see that they are by no means technologically behind intel. There are ofcourse the AMD dual core processors for servers and workstations, but the average joe doesn't know or care about those. These AMD dual cores take the power out of intels "look what we can do" dual core marketing, because amd can just say so what, we can do it too.

AMD will be able to sell a few dual cores and keep intel at bay, while still protecting their more lucrative A64 market. Most consumers also tend to associate price with quality, and with the AMD dual cores priced that high, people will assume they are better than the intels. When AMD does decide to truly move into the dual core market, they will already have a reputation of making better chips than intel.

how does this qualify as a stunt?

AMD doesn't have anywhere near the fab capacity of intel, so it takes them longer to put out chips in sufficient volume to lower their prices. this is hardly a "rehashed old stunt"; it's simple economics. while the supply of dual core opterons and athlons is low, their prices will be high. intel, on the other hand, is a chip-making behemoth, so it can introduce the pentium D at a lower price point.

Ed tears into AMD for "history repeating itself", but of course history is repeating itself. it's going to repeat itself again when the K9 and K10 are released, as long as AMD has so few fabs. the good news is: even at such a high price point, the dual core AMD chips are evidently worth it.

I hate to concede to a corporation known for greed but I'm going Intel this time around. Maybe in the future when AMD can get their act together better I'll go back.

theMonster said:
I hate to concede to a corporation known for greed but I'm going Intel this time around. Maybe in the future when AMD can get their act together better I'll go back.

Interesting. Intel Dual core i suppose?

I am looking to upgrade myself...seems like the choises have become:

- wait a little, get a venice
- wait a little longer, get a pentium D

I am really starting to doubt...

you can get the Intel dual-core now. I'm hearing the AMDs will probably be better, but I'm also hearing they'll be MUCH costlier. Anybody got a link to a place that sells the Smithfields? I'm about to place an order.

Last edited:
theMonster said:
you can get the Intel dual-core now. I'm hearing the AMDs will probably be better, but I'm also hearing they'll be MUCH costlier. Anybody got a link to a place that sells the Smithfields? I'm about to place an order.

Cool, you sound certain of yourself. I am not sure yet what to get yet.

If you get your hands on one, let us know what you find :thup:

theMonster said:

The reason the Amd's cost more, is that the slowest AMD dualcore is faster then teh fastest Intel dualcore. They just don't have anything as slow as the 2.8ghz dualcore p4 available... :p

So Intel allready has dualcore processors available for purchase? Motherboards too?

Supposedly like the AMDs they work with the current motherboards and no I can't ge one yet, unless I buy a Dell and that will happen when hell freezes over and the trumpets sound.

the prices of the AMD dual core chips will eventually come down, and when they do AMD users will be able to upgrade their CPUs without buying a new motherboard. if you want to compare the value of each platform, it would be more accurate to compare the cost of an AMD cpu to an intel CPU + motherboard upgrade.

theMonster said:
Supposedly like the AMDs they work with the current motherboards and no I can't ge one yet, unless I buy a Dell and that will happen when hell freezes over and the trumpets sound.

You cannot use Intel Dual cores on current motherboards, they need one of their new chipsets to work with.

If dual core is to become commonplace, it needs to be cheap and plentiful. Intel knows this. AMD either doesn't want to do it or can't do it for one of many reasons. I think Intel wins this round. Who has the better chip, the reviews will tell.

hmm.... still... i don't know why dual core is being pushed so hard unless Longhorn is going to REQUIRE dual-core to run.

If it comes down to that, and Intel has the cheaper/more plentiful DC's.... then they will DEFINATELY pwn AMD on this one.

TollhouseFrank said:
hmm.... still... i don't know why dual core is being pushed so hard unless Longhorn is going to REQUIRE dual-core to run.

sorry, i doubt MS is going to limit their sales of the "loooooong overdue" Longhorn to the "fresh-out-the-bank" hardware upgrading few who can afford to upgrade to this walk on the plank. Especially seeing as how XP could be installed on some pretty old and outdated machines, despite the "looking out for your better interest, you better upgrade now" warnings.

none of this makes sense unless you are one of the elite money-men of the world, or u JUST CAN'T WAIT to upgrade for a 2 minute decrease in your time it takes to steal a dvd

OK, Ed is cracking on AMD, but he's already said too many times that dual core is like dual engines in a car (or maybe that's my analogy)
so what's the point? (in other words, dual core is like a stop gap solution to continues sales growth until true innovation comes along, and why would joe 6pack need two engines in his honda or minivan or even mercedes for that matter)

still, if any of you get one of these multi-headed beasts, i'll be waiting to see if you have the guts to post some truely objective remarks/benches, or just toot your own horn to justify your uber-purchase

Last edited:
LOL,its silly to compare prices of intel desktop dual cores to amd opteron server dual cores :rolleyes:

compared to teh $4000 intel xeon single core server cpu,teh amd opteron dual cores server cpu seems like quite a bargain.then again that is if you gonna build those 16-ways/cpu servers ;)

j3lly said:
LOL,its silly to compare prices of intel desktop dual cores to amd opteron server dual cores :rolleyes:

compared to teh $4000 intel xeon single core server cpu,teh amd opteron dual cores server cpu seems like quite a bargain.then again that is if you gonna build those 16-ways/cpu servers ;)

I'm sorry, they are comparing AMD to Intel on the desktop, try to read better.

Knowing your reputation, please change your style of posting or leave this thread.

j3lly said:
LOL,why don't yopu reed teh again :rolleyes:

There is nothing in that article telling you that AMD is releasing them as server chips. All Ed is saying is that it may not me the smartest move to release fast models only. Plus the price tag of course, which will make these chips very rare on the desktop, simply because desktop users usually cannot shelf out so much for a CPU

Back